Front Mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Wee bit of a thread revival as I fear a public lashing for not searching enough and starting a new thread...

My front mech on my hybrid has seized after a long winter stuck in the big ring. Worst case scenario, if I take it off and can't get it working again is that I need to spend £25 and buy new. My bike is 3x8 and I've seen triple front mechs on CRC, some are 3x9, 3x10 but no 3x8. Surely it doesn't matter as long as it's a triple mech? I can't see how being 8, 9 or 10 matters to the front or does it?

You haven't said what groupset you are running, there are occasional changes to the pull ratio (how far the mechanism in the shifter moves) meaning that some FDs are not compatible with some shifters. Shimano have detailed compatibility charts, so if you let us know what you have, we can point you in the right direction.

As mentioned upthread, take the derailleur off, loosen the limit screws, and don't be afraid to put some effort in whilst trying to get it moving, be liberal with the WD40 and/or light oil, and once it starts, it'll get easier.

Shimano have detailed compatibility charts...
They do? I obviously haven't been looking hard enough!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget front mechs don' have bearings, so with a bit of patience and oils you can get them running well. Electrical contact cleaner is great at shifting embedded dirt. A regular squirt of GT85 over winter will stop it sticking. A mate of mine seized his XT mech on a new bike in just one winter by never lubing it (commuting in the big ring).

Sixmile

Veteran
You haven't said what groupset you are running, there are occasional changes to the pull ratio (how far the mechanism in the shifter moves) meaning that some FDs are not compatible with some shifters. Shimano have detailed compatibility charts, so if you let us know what you have, we can point you in the right direction.

Shimano Altus. I've been looking to upgrade this year anyhow. I'm taking the bike over to a CRC mechanic friend of mine on Monday for him to have a bash at it as I'd another spray and wiggle last night to no affect.

A mate of mine seized his XT mech on a new bike in just one winter by never lubing it (commuting in the big ring).

Sounds like me and your mate look at winter maintenance in a similar way. I don't think I've been able to shift down since November! It's just now that its trailer pulling season again that I need the full range of gears.

Cheaper from Rose I think. I bought/stocked up on them. Seem to recall about £7 each _ plus postage from germany of course but you can often easily justify that on bigger orders. Strikes me as a decent strong mech. Am currently running a 20 year old second hand one on a 9 speed build.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Cheaper from Rose I think. I bought/stocked up on them. Seem to recall about £7 each _ plus postage from germany of course but you can often easily justify that on bigger orders. Strikes me as a decent strong mech. Am currently running a 20 year old second hand one on a 9 speed build.

It was only a quick search but at £7 each i'd buy a couple for spares.

Top Bottom