Front Mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
A frustrating evening has been had here. I fitted a new crankset (30,42,52 - FSA Vero) tonight in place of a Nexave 28,38,48. I can't get the front mech (also nexave) set without it rubbing on the inside of the cage :smile:. It's been up, down, left, right and just doesn't seem to want to "return" far enough to fit properly.

Am i doing something wrong?

I'm already bleeding from snapping a spanner trying to get the pedals out and am downing tools for the night and hoping for some sound advice please.

The pedal thats still stuck in is coming to work tomorrow for some blowtorch and vice action on the crank. Any advice if this fails?

limit screws need adjusting?

as for the pedal... one has the opposite thread, but you knew that, right?

spray wd40 on and leave overnight.

did you undo the cable and reset the limit screw?

i'm assuming you mean the inner plate of the front mech.

it could be... and you might not like this... that you need a slightly longer BB axle. when i changed the chainset on one of my MTBs i also had to change the bb as the new set need a different length axle.

Tynan

Veteran
aren't pedal delicate creatures that mustn't get any abuse in case they go fractionally out of true?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
laurences advice about the BB sounds about right, i'll ring my LBS this afternoon to check :tongue:.

good luck.

as for the pedals... it's easier to get them off with the cranks on the bike... i found that out once i'd removed my cranks!

then the tactic i used was to stand on the crank with one foot... attach the pedal spanner and then use my other foot to undo it... leaning against a wall is handy too, or holding onto something solid.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
The pedal came out very easily once the crank was in the vice and I had a 2 foot length of pipe as an extension to the spanner.

The bikes running 8 speed until next saturday when I won't be using it and can take it to be looked at by my LBS. I've had a nother go tonight and it's not for running right - I can't get my head round it*. The chain line is good so it may not be my BB length. I've had a lend of a different mech as well, close but no cigar ;).

*This hopefully/probably means it's a stupid and obvious mistake and very easy to fix :tongue:.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I feel vindicated*. 4 different mechs were tried while at the LBS and none could be made to fit :smile:.

A different one is on order and I'll get it on Wednesday.

*I'm not as inept as I thought I might have been.

Top Bottom