1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Mech

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Oldlegs, 7 Jul 2007.

1. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

I have recently replaced my groupset (Sora to 105) and the whole lot went fine apart from the front mech. I cannot get the (bad word) thing to work without rubbing when on the small chainring (double). The derailleur is fitted right (parrellel to the chain, about 2 mm off the chainring), limit screws set to the Shimano instructions and the front gear change works well. I am coming round to the view that front mechs are the work of the devil :blush:
    Any help much appreciated
    Cheers
    Steve

2. starseven

starseven Guest

Hi OL
    The park website has a good adjustment guide

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

even when well adjusted you can still get some rub though. :blush:

3. The best thing about the old style friction levers is that you can make tiny adjustments to the mechs while riding simply by moving the levers. Indexing is useful but it can be a bugger to set up properly - like Starseven says, it might rub no matter what you do to it.

4. leoc

leoc New Member

I symapthise on this one. Thought I had mine set up perfectly at the weekend but it threw the chain off the high side this morning half way to work :blush:

5. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

angle it ever so slightly (about 1ยบ) out at the rear. :blush:

6. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

Finally got there :blush: - more by luck than judgement though.

7. TimO

TimO Veteran

Front changers are the work of the devil, more so with indexing, and even more so with triples. :blush: