Front rings on mtbs???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Not really having much knowledge about bikes I was looking at new mountain bikes can I ask the silly question on what the difference is between a front sing ring and a front multi ring,

The single rings seem more pricey how does it affect performance between the two types

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The current trend is for single front rings and large cassetes - yes it's more expensive on consumables, but they are supposed to last longer. It also simplifies gear changes and reduces weight, and potentially more reliable.

No real performance difference. For me, I prefer double front as it gives a closer gear range as much of my training is cross country

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Single ring will leave you with fewer gears and bigger gaps between them. Can’t see any real advantages.
You actually end up with pretty much the same amount of "usable" gears and no chain-crossing:okay:
Pros:-
No front mech or left hand shifter so less to keep on top of.In theory chain should last longer and no chain dropping if you use a narrow/wide(NW) front ring.
Cons:-
Costs more.In some cases a lot more!NW front ring can wear quickly.Ratios are arguably wider but IME you don't notice(or you get used to it).

I had 1X10 on my MTB with 11-36+42T expander and a 32Front.I hated the 42T expander so took it off.I personally don't like the look of
1X with massive 50T on the rear and tiny 30T on the front.It just looks odd.I said the same about Disc brakes about 25 years ago though:laugh:

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Can't say I've ever had a clogged up front dérailleur. Ever.
Tyre size is restricted by chainstay width, not front dérailleurs.
We used to all ride with triple front chainsets and the only time I ever remember anyone ever having issues was the result of a bent outer ring.
Doubles and singles on mountain bikes only came about because of marketing crap from shimano, sram etc. Not because anyone needed them. And sure as s*** not because of any performance benefits.

Last edited:
One 'advantage' of a single front ring is that you dispense with the front derailleur - no fd means less maintenance & no clogging up with mud
how much maintenance does a front derailleur need?
a few squirts of lube at appropriate intervals?
If someone isn't prepared to do that, i wouldn't trust them with a condom, at either end, let alone a bike.

Venod

Eh up
My first single ring equiped bike had a 32 front and 11-42 rear 11 speed, I didn't get on with the gearing, so put a double ring on the front, my next with a single ring came with 30 front 10-50 rear 12 speed, I changed the 30 front for a 34 and I am now a convert.

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Doubles and singles on mountain bikes only came about because of marketing crap from shimano, sram etc. Not because anyone needed them. And sure as s*** not because of any performance benefits.
The same could be said for many things.Disc brakes,longer travel,wider tyres,wide bars,dropper posts,8/9/10/11 speed etc,etc,etc.been there done that.I started on MTBs when they were called ATBs.Full rigid with cantis.Fast forward 25 years and my last MTBs were a 160mm travel HT and a 180mm travel FS.Both fitted with droppers,HT was 2X10 and FS was 1X10,both had 203F/185R 4-pot Hope brakes.Sold them and now ride the same trails on my CX.So I've sort of gone full circle as I'm back on a Rigid...but it does have disc brakes.
It's like any sport really.Things move on.You don't necessarily need the new tech but many want it:smile:
I said I'd never have hydraulic disc brakes and Di2 on a road bike...now I have both:okay:
Some people are happy to ride around on old steel bikes with down tube shifters,others on full Aero carbon bikes with Di2.Doesn't matter so long as you're happy:okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ah but most of those things had performance benefits of some kind. Reliability, weight, ease of use.
There's none of that with going backwards from a triple chainset to a double or single.
Weight savings maybe but we're talking mere grams there.

Bobario

Veteran
Ah but most of those things had performance benefits of some kind. Reliability, weight, ease of use.
There's none of that with going backwards from a triple chainset to a double or single.
Weight savings maybe but we're talking mere grams there.

I'd argue you get all three of those advantages when going to a single up front. No FD to worry about (reliability). Less chainrings, shorter chain and again no FD , (less weight, although as you say you're not saving a lot especially if you run a bashguard). Only one shifter to operate (ease of use). I've never missed my 3x since going to a 1x although I do sometimes miss the granny ring on some of the tougher uphills.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How often does a front mech go faulty or get damaged?
Fewer chainrings I get, but that's offset by more sprockets on the cassette to compensate.
Shorter chain? C'mon really?
I can understand having one less shifter to worry about if a cyclist has only one arm or is mentally impaired in some way but otherwise, how hard is it really to change gears on a triple?

Top Bottom