Front Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

I must admit the first time I did put all my effort into tightening the top bolt as I thought it was the only thing holding it together. Also not being a small chap that is quite a lot of effort!

Bengarbage

if your stems ok look at your hub (is it set into forks correct)? bearings ok etc? sure its not just weird feeling of repositioning bars?

HovR

Über Member
Could you describe more what you mean by "it feels like it's pulling"? If you're confident that the headset tension is set correctly then I'd start looking at tension of handle bars, is there any play in the front wheel (grab the rim and try moving it from side to side, check for play) etc.

The fact you said "there isn't any chance of doing no-hands" - That's often a sign that the compression is actually too tight, as it prevents the fork from tracking properly by itself..

If it's none of these things then I'd recommend taking it to a bike shop, as without actually looking at it in person I'm all out of ideas!

Bengarbage

I must admit the first time I did put all my effort into tightening the top bolt as I thought it was the only thing holding it together. Also not being a small chap that is quite a lot of effort!
i appreate this isn't a carbom bike although, do it too tight you will pay later

Cyclist33

Have you returned the setup to its original position? All I can really suggest is if the fork steerer has "popped" out of the bottom of the headset a little. Are you getting play from the steerer in the head tube?

Take it to a shop and have them straighten it out. The alternative is to loosen the stem from the steerer tube, then loosen the top cap. Do this while standing over your crossbar facing forwards. Then leaning firmly on the stem, check your fork is snugly fitted to the bottom of the head tube. It should be obvious when its correct. Then tighten your top cap with a hex key hand tight ie not hyper tight. This should lock your steerer in the right place. Then straighten up the stem and tighten it back up. Hopefully that does it.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

Have you returned the setup to its original position? All I can really suggest is if the fork steerer has "popped" out of the bottom of the headset a little. Are you getting play from the steerer in the head tube?

Take it to a shop and have them straighten it out. The alternative is to loosen the stem from the steerer tube, then loosen the top cap. Do this while standing over your crossbar facing forwards. Then leaning firmly on the stem, check your fork is snugly fitted to the bottom of the head tube. It should be obvious when its correct. Then tighten your top cap with a hex key hand tight ie not hyper tight. This should lock your steerer in the right place. Then straighten up the stem and tighten it back up. Hopefully that does it.

Is it straight forward to loosen the stem from the steerer tube?

HovR

Über Member
I'm not getting any play from what I can tell. Popped the front brake on and rocked It but didn't feel anything?

So it's not too loose then. Have you checked if it is too tight? (i.e. with the front wheel held off the ground, can you steer it freely? It should really only take a small nudge to get it moving).

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

I undid everything and with the front brake on rocked and then tightened a bit and repeated until there was no play in the bars. I then did up the steerer clamp. Guessing the steerer clamp can't be over tightened?

Cyclist33

I undid everything and with the front brake on rocked and then tightened a bit and repeated until there was no play in the bars. I then did up the steerer clamp. Guessing the steerer clamp can't be over tightened?

Right I feel that you're using a mish mash of terminology and since the order in which you should do the tasks matters, you need to use the right terms. What do you mean by "steerer clamp"?

With everything loosened a bit, it should be easy enough to put bit of pressure on the front of the bike by leaning your forearm on the stem, roughly where it connects to the handlebar. Or whatever works for you. By doing this then checking with eyes and fingers at the join of the bottom of the head tube and the top of the fork, you ensure the fork is correctly seated inside the head tube. Once secured, tighten the top cap. Then straighten the stem and tighten it up when it's straight, ie you can steer the bike properly. You can then loosen the top cap back to hand tight if you over tightened it earlier.