Front Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I would love to have a classic racer! Or any old banger to love up.

My dad's got a nameless old "hybrid" (that's what they'd call it nowadays) in his shed he's never used, dunno where he got it from, keeps promising it but never delivers.

I really love my old Dawes! Sure the paintwork is a bit long in the tooth, but it's still extremely comfortable and has no trouble on the club runs keeping up with the more modern bikes. The only slight downside is shifting can be a bit scary at high speeds, and you have less gears, but that can easily be upgraded to more modern STI components.

I'd recommend a good quality Reynolds steel frame - They make a nice project to build up.

Widge

Baldy Go
Hhhm....my only foray into road bikes before buying my Triban this summer was a stonking 2nd hand deal on a beautifully finished 'MERCIAN' REYNOLDS FRAME, Wolber Wheels, Campag/suntour drive-train and grind and find stem mounted friction gears...all dating from around 1980 or earlier. It rode beautifully and was deliciously retro......but just too big. It had obviously been custom made for a 6-footer-but with everything set as low as it could go I still had many enjoyable rides. My nadgers would have been squashed if I'd ever had a sudden 'off'!

I gave it away to a friend in the end.......but sometimes still wish I hadn't.

There was nothing wrong with the grind-and-find triple gearing (with monster bail-out ring) and the frame was all lugged and hand-built....but hey-ho....you live and learn?

I have a hankereing for a Pashely 3spd Guv'nor at the moment!

Love retro.

I'm pretty retro myself.

w

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

Just a quick update! Curiosity got the better of me and I whipped the front forks out on Saturday. Cleaned the bearings up and after a liberal application of grease popped it all back together. Not sure if its the cleaning or just something gone back in the right place but it feels so much better! You will also be pleased to know that i managed at least 50 metres no-handed! Tomorrow I will attempting a bunny-hop and possibly an endo by Friday! :smile: