show us your vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WhiteWolf

Regular
I did start a new thread about our bikes but thought I would add them to here as well.

SWMBO's is a 21" Raleigh Record Sprint from 1987, that she has had from new.
Record-Sprint.jpg

The pannier and water bottle were fitted last week.

My new bike (new to me) is a 21" Raleigh Esprit from around 1980 and was bought from the Bay of Evil and we picked her up last Tuesday.
Esprit5.jpg

We found them very hard to ride with those big bits of Arnco fastened to the side of them. ;)

Anne 1977_2.jpg Right.
I've just tried uploading the photo I took yesterday but it's too large. So sent this instead!

raindog

er.....
Cracking pic Campfire - what make of frame was it? Do you still have that bike?
ah! - just followed the other posts - duh. :smile:

Lee Matthews

Having seen this beauty I feel very hesitant about posting a picture of my old Soensport which has been in the garage for years until last week when I got it out, cleaned it and went for a couple of rides on it. It had been raced by my dad. Sadly it was resprayed around 1976, raced on by me and then used as a general hack. Presumably, Lee, you are Pete's son? If so, you might be interested to know the frame once belonged to your Dad and he sold it to my Dad (Alan Barker of Warrington RC). Dare I post the picture?
Of course you should post it. I will speak to my dad to see if he remembers.... for an oldie he does have a good memory!!

colly

Re member eR
Just a few pics of my mates old Sun Sapphire. Made, or at least purchased around 1957/58.
For the past 35 years or so it has been in a heated garage hanging on brackets on the wall.
My friend sells antiques and is loath (sorry Doug) ever to throw anything away. He has had this since he was a teenager and it really is 'as original'. Saddle, brakes, gears, bar tape, Bluemels mudguards and even the original tyres and tubes. He even has the original purchase receipt.
It had a good amount of use when it was new and has naturally got a few tiny scuffs.

Of course the tyres, brake blocks etc have long since perished but other than a good clean / service and replacing perished rubber and maybe the cables it should be a goer.

Anyone who might be interested in it let me know. I'm not really putting on here as an advert more that it might be of interest.

SDC11303.JPG
SDC11304.JPG
SDC11305.JPG
SDC11306.JPG
SDC11308.JPG
SDC11309.JPG
SDC11310.JPG
SDC11311.JPG
SDC11312.JPG

asterix

Comrade Member
Don't think Id cycle down that road!

Yes, I walked for a bit, hence the photo opportunity, but it was a lovely day for a ride otherwise.

I guess snow and ice is a bit rarer in Plymouth than it is high up on the Yorkshire Wolds.

HovR

Über Member
My 1978 Dawes Echelon has gone through a few changes since I posted it on page 2, so here it is again!

DSCF0718.jpg

New SKS Chromoplastic guards covering Vittoria Rubino tires on Mavic rims. The rear derailleur has been upgraded to Alivio.

DSCF0721.JPG

The wheels could really do with de-lacing to give the hubs a real good clean and polish, but I don't have time for that!

STEPHAN DAVIS

My 1978 Dawes Echelon has gone through a few changes since I posted it on page 2, so here it is again!

DSCF0718.jpg

New SKS Chromoplastic guards covering Vittoria Rubino tires on Mavic rims. The rear derailleur has been upgraded to Alivio.

DSCF0721.JPG

The wheels could really do with de-lacing to give the hubs a real good clean and polish, but I don't have time for that!

Lovely looking bike. I'm attempting to do a retro bike at work - just hope it looks half as good as this one!

STEPHAN DAVIS

Is this the original colour? I really want to keep my raleigh as original as possible but really dislike the silver and black paint job on the bike at the moment.

Milo

Guru
Not a very flattering photo by any means. And not even all that vintage tbh but has proved to be a reliable steed. Ridgeback Romany once upon a time. At a guess 90's vintage not all that sure to be honest on its age. One day I will paint it properly instead of using model paint to touch it up.
062.JPG

Top Bottom