Front suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you knocked the lockout switch, usually on the top of the right stansion.

What fork. If not locked out, brokened.:ohmy:

Drago

Legendary Member
Probably for the nedt thst they're locked solid then. A victoria sponge would provide more effective suspenion. They're useful for holding the front wheel on and little else.

carvelos

rj the bike guy on youtube has many videos on suntour rebuilds it's worth a go for the price of some grease and fiddling but then there are so many things in life that follow that wise and simple rule.....

figbat

Slippery scientist
They don't dry out. Probably rusted and dead if a cheap one. What make and model.
Mine did. I split them, replaced and reoiled the seals and wiper and they were as good as new. They went from being pretty stiff to nice and compliant. Mind you, this was a Rockshox fork.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're really determined you can de rust them and fill the pits with araldite and then rub it down smooth. This gives an effective working repair, but looks gash. Best left to motorbikes where the stanchions are hidden by gaiters.

fossyant

Mine did. I split them, replaced and reoiled the seals and wiper and they were as good as new. They went from being pretty stiff to nice and compliant. Mind you, this was a Rockshox fork.

Rockshox though...

That said Suntour on my kids bikes have been fine, but you need to keep them clean and re-lube the chrome steel.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Rockshox though...

That said Suntour on my kids bikes have been fine, but you need to keep them clean and re-lube the chrome steel.
Just realised the comment was about drying out through lack of use... I’d agree this was unlikely. Mine dried out through constant use and lack of maintenance. :blush:

fossyant

Just realised the comment was about drying out through lack of use... I’d agree this was unlikely. Mine dried out through constant use and lack of maintenance. :blush:

Reminds me I need to do a lower leg service on my Rock Shox. Never done them, but cleaned and silicone lubed after every ride.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Suntour shocks currently seem to have everything from very basic binnables to good but heavy shocks. I too would recommend RJ the Bike guy for strip down and rebuild information, if I were to do so. In a lot of cases, I just replace with a rigid fork, and take a couple of pounds off the bicycle. I do the same with Rock Shox Jetts, though, except I usually move up in the line and keep the suspension on those. Some shock rebuilds require some quite unique tools, I might add.

Top Bottom