Front triple Deralieur.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm struggling to set it up. Ive had it changing in the middle and small,then started gain and had it middle and top ! Cant seem to get it in all three.Fitted new inner and outer cable and still no joy.At the moment it wont drop into smallest chain ring ? Any advice ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this a new mech or has the set-up worked on this bike previously?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Slack cable off and ensure the shifter is defo down into its lowest setting. Using the L screw on the derailleur to align the inside of the plate so the small chain ring jst clears it (with chain on). Check cable is properly seated and then tighten it at pinch bolt - make sure you have routed the cable correctly to the FD and pinch bolt. Check H screw adjustment is right - ie make sure it doesn't fling chain off when going into big ring. Then adjust tension at barrel adjuster to fine tune

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
It's on a bike I aquired so was working but not well.Cables needed renewing etc.Ive done as above but for some reason struggling.I took deralieur of and left it to soak to clean.Im wondering if I've positioned it wrong ? Does a triple sit and different ? Thanks for the replys

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Could just be a compatibility issue, no knowing what parts have been wrongly fitted/replaced before the bike came to you?
I'm going to start again tommorow...if at first and all that ! Time for a drink thanks

sounds like a positioning issue of the mech to me (check out park tools website for that).
Unless of course it's the wrong mech and always was.
Was this mech originally specced on that particular bike or was it added by someone?
If added have you checked the shimano specs for it?
If the mech was fitted after the bike was born may be an idea to tell us what the mech is and what the 3 chainrings are.
Also, could someone have changed the bottom bracket to the wrong spindle length for the chainset?
Congratulations for using a triple - nothing wrong with them - many advantages.
If it's a flat bar bike (better in my humble opinion) minor issues can be sorted with trimmable rapidfire shifters.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This was a thread of mine from a couple of years ago:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/48-38-28-to-42-32-22.235977/

I was trying to use a MTB front triple derailleur with road-style brifters and it wouldn't move far enough. Folks quickly confirmed it was likely to be a compatibility issue, which put me on the right track and saved a lot of time.

Your situation may be completely different, but whatever, if you've acquired a bike and the parts don't work quite right you want to be sure there's a chance they might.

I'm going to start again tommorow...if at first and all that ! Time for a drink thanks
A 99p jaipur would sort it.
:smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
Height and angle of the mech are important. I've found that you don't need to have the cable too tight - just tight enough to get up to the middle ring on the first click. There's a lot of trial and error involved.

I'm assuming it's a Shimano mech, because Campag triples are much easier to set up due to their multiple clicks available on the shifter.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Sorry it's the original mech from the bike.Microshift triple 8 speed.The bikes been hammered ! So just home about replacing things.Bit of a project ! The more I think about it I'm not sure the mech is springing back easily when cable is of.Ive sprayed it with WD and I'll leave to soak overnight.Start again tommorow maybe.Depending how many of these I have 😁
IMG_20201107_202914927.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
I have a crude but effective way of setting up a triple that ignores all the recommendations. Set the gear lever for the outer chainring and use a suitable wooden block to hold the mech out as it would be when on that chainring. Tighten the cable and bingo IME it works every time.

Top Bottom