front wheel clicks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

textpest uk

At the end of last summer i went out and brought a trek fuel ex 8 and on the ride home from the bike shop i noticed that the front wheel was clicking every time it went round i took it back and they have no clue as to what is causing it the wheels are bontragger rhythm comps i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix for it

Globalti

Legendary Member
Speedo magnet touching pickup?

hotmetal

Comedy answer: That's why they're called Rhythm Comps - it's the built-in metronome.

Sensible answer: Is it only when the wheel's under load (ie being ridden) and less if you just spin the wheel by hand? If so, and there's no sign of anything making contact externally I would check for
a) a loose spoke
:sad: a faulty bearing

briank

HJ said:
Sounds like a worn hub bearing, does it stop when you apply the front brake?

Take the front wheel out and spin it. Feel smooth? If so it's not the hub. Squeeze spokes together in pairs: a loose one will be obvious. Replace wheel and spin, watching clearance - on both sides - between wheel and rim. A buckle should be obvious. Lean your weight over the bars and roll the bike along: repeat with the brakes just rubbing.

If you can't "make" it click then I'd say just ride it, in the knowledge that if there is some kind of problem it will get a lot worse long before anything disastrous happens.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You should have gotten them to replace the wheel. They sold you a product that was not fit for purpose.
Hindsight is great.

Bman

Guru
gaz said:
You should have gotten them to replace the wheel. They sold you a product that was not fit for purpose.
Hindsight is great.

I prefer the term "Retrospect is a c***". :biggrin:

(Sorry ladies....)

OP
OP
textpest uk

textpest uk

ive took it back to the shop about 5 times and they have striped down the front hub and found nothing wrong with it and it still clicks got to go back this saturday and they are gonna try changing the bearings

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
textpest uk said:
ive took it back to the shop about 5 times and they have striped down the front hub and found nothing wrong with it and it still clicks got to go back this saturday and they are gonna try changing the bearings
Just ask for a new wheel and tell them they can play around with kt as much as they like when it's in the shop, rather than annoying you and causing you concern (and return trips!).

OP
OP
textpest uk

textpest uk

if the bearings dont shut it up it will be a new wheel i aint putting up with clicking for the rest of the time ive got the bike drive me mental

Top Bottom