Front wheel weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just weighed the front wheel on my Felt hybrid and including wheel, tube, tyre and QR it weighs in at an incredible 4.1lbs

that seems very heavy to me - any weight loss tips. the tyres are just standard felt city tyres 37mm

Thanks

amaferanga

Veteran
Lighter tyre, lighter tube, lighter QR, lighter wheel. But lighter tyres/tube will probably mean more prone to punctures. Unless you're racing I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. On my best bike my front wheel with tyre, tube and QR weighs less than 1kg. On my commuting and winter training bike my front wheel probably weighs about 1.5kg. Can I notice the difference in weight when riding? No.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Just weighed the front wheel on my Felt hybrid and including wheel, tube, tyre and QR it weighs in at an incredible 4.1lbs

that seems very heavy to me - any weight loss tips. the tyres are just standard felt city tyres 37mm

Thanks
Your wheel weight is ime typical for a stock wheel on a hybrid.

The first step to address weight loss is to find out what each component of your wheel weighs, only then can you decide how much you would like to spend to achieve what sort of reduction.

I might be wrong but I shall assume you have 700c wheels.

Just to give you some idea, many 700c tyres are under 200g, but they will be narrow and could look funny on a hybrid. Schwalbe Kojak is a light 700x35 tyre, weighing around 330g, which I suspect is substantially lighter than what you have. 100g 700c tubes are also readily available.

There are many light wheelsets on sale that cost a few times more than a typical hybrid, but if your wheels have 700c rims but mtb rear hub (i.e. with 135mm over-locknut-distance) there aren't many off the shelf/factory rear wheel choices, so rebuild/handbuild wheels with light rims, db spokes may be the best option there.

It is not hard to find hubs weighing 200g/400g front/back, and a lightish rim is around 400g. Allowing 200g for a set of spokes/nipples for each wheel, you can get a rough idea of what a set of lightish (but without pushing boundaries) wheels weighs.

Top Bottom