Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Can't recall if anyone has mentioned this but for right or wrong, Wiggo's image will be forever tarnished now that the mainstream media agree asking questions, including many of the points already addressed in this thread.

Sir Bradley Wiggins: Former team doctor 'surprised' at drug prescription
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37456623

I'm slowly changing my mind about the whole thing, largely because if what Brad didn't say (his autobiography etc) than what he did. I accept he didn't break any actual rules, but it does seem as though the spirit of the rules has been trashed.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I've got to be honest, whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation I find it difficult to get excited about what Wiggins may or may not have said in his book. Being realistic, it's unusual for even confessional biographies to give blow by blow details of every TUE, injection, whatever. 'My Time' was just a puff piece rushed out to capitalise on his TdF and Olympic victories and the atmosphere at the time, largely written not by Wiggins but by William Fotheringham, and with quite egregious errors and poor writing in places; not something I'd take as the last word in verbal precision or historical accuracy.

uclown2002

Guru
I've got to be honest, whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation I find it difficult to get excited about what Wiggins may or may not have said in his book. Being realistic, it's unusual for even confessional biographies to give blow by blow details of every TUE, injection, whatever. 'My Time' was just a puff piece rushed out to capitalise on his TdF and Olympic victories and the atmosphere at the time, largely written not by Wiggins but by William Fotheringham, and with quite egregious errors and poor writing in places; not something I'd take as the last word in verbal precision or historical accuracy.
Fortunately, we don't have to rely solely on his book, to realise the whole thing stinks. There is plenty of other stuff out there.

I do think too much attention is being given to Wiggins; the approach taken by Sky to all their riders will be exactly the same, they'll play within the rules but push it as far as is possible for everyone. As will every other team. Some riders and teams will push it beyond the rules.

Is that really "news" to anyone?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Fortunately, we don't have to rely solely on his book, to realise the whole thing stinks. There is plenty of other stuff out there.

Of which whether Wiggins is or is not a liar seems a minor sideshow say the least. Far more important is that teams will always run to the letter of the law, not necessarily the spirit. That being the case, how the TUE regs work is far more important and is slightly being lost in all the noise about Wiggins and Sky.

We can't know the ins and outs of why Wiggins, or any rider, may have been prescribed a particular drug. I can find plenty of cycling related links about performance enhancing and doctors jumping on the bandwagon to say Triamcinolone should not have been prescribed, I can also find plenty of learned papers that suggest there may not be a perfomance benefit, or that prescription may be justified in various circumstances. I have no idea which is right, and I'm willing to bet most of those commenting, particularly the more rabid ones, have no real idea either.

What do know is that the circumstances of that prescription must have been examined by UCI / WADA representatives who must, as stated in UCI regs, examine that prescription to check that it is justified and that there is no potential performance increase; and we know that WADA must make a judgement about the perfomance benefits or otherwise of drugs they list. Whether it's Sky or not, as @Marmion suggests teams in pretty much any sport will play to the letter of the law and will push the boundaries as much as possible to gain a competitive advantage.

The real issue seems to me that if there is to be a TUE system it must be regulated and run in a way that compels teams to behave in a way that upholds the spirit as well as the letter of the law. If Triamcinolone, or any other drug, has the clear performance benefits suggested, the question is why is it available under a TUE system and why assessors approve prescriptions for it, not just for Sky but for any team.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good post, but ...
if there is to be a TUE system it must be regulated and run in a way that compels teams to behave in a way that upholds the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
You just can't do that. Your only weapon of compulsion is the letter of the law. You can't compel them to behave within the spirit, that's the whole point of there being a difference between the two.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Good post, but ... You just can't do that. Your only weapon of compulsion is the letter of the law. You can't compel them to behave within the spirit, that's the whole point of there being a difference between the two.

I think that misses what I was saying. The point is that the letter and spirit should coincide. Differences are not deliberately built in, but arise because of the framing and operation of the regulations. If a situation has arisen where riders are able to take advantage of performance enhancing benefits of a drug available on TUE, then questions arise about how the regulations are framed and operated which are larger than any questions about a single rider or team.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The point is that the letter and spirit should coincide.
:smile: I was being a bit pedantic.

Whatever the letter, you'll find people trying to wheedle beyond it, and others stating that the law is not sufficient and that some who are within the law are outside the spirit (which, being undefined, they are free to redefine)

So now we know why Sky never signed up to the MPCC, never mind Brailsfords bollocks speak on a unified approach, any corticosteroids would mean eight days out of racing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Same as Tramadol really can't remember whose book it was but if I recall correctly they went to the car to pick up bottles and tramadol with caffeine tabs to counter the drowsiness. Now I have inadvertently ridden an hour after a Codeine tablet and it felt really good (once I got going) and it took me a while to figure out what had changed let alone taking two or the next level up Tramadol.

geopat

Über Member
The timing of the TUEs says all. The regulations are in place for those who desperately need medication at a particular time and Wiggins did not.

He cheated, end off, in my book.

I'm just wondering if anyone commenting has asthma or blocked airways of some sort. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of this, if you do you'd realize how it affects you. I developed mild asthma as an adult so I have a clear memory of the difference. In addition, by dint of good fortune and extra special genetics, I can't breathe through my nose whilst exercising. Most of the time it's fine but the times when it isn't is when you are really working hard and then you become acutely conscious that you are breathing like a steam train. Being able to breathe normally rather than desperately struggling to get your breath when everyone else is now talking and breathing normally is not an advantage.

Top Bottom