Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wiggins claimed he was adhering to. We now know he is a liar.
Unfortunately this is true and there's no escaping it. Suggesting that intramuscular jabs are somehow not injections is disingenuous.
The mystery is why he didn't just say he'd had a hay-fever treatment in his book. That would have been honest and would have deflated all of this.

Unfortunately this is true and there's no escaping it. Suggesting that intramuscular jabs are somehow not injections is disingenuous.
The mystery is why he didn't just say he'd had a hay-fever treatment in his book. That would have been honest and would have deflated all of this.
It would. My benefit of the doubt theory goes something along the lines of being given a public flaying given the period he was on the ascendancy, so as they were doing nothing illegal, best to say nothing which now in hindsight looks bad. Froome received the same treatment when his TUE came out.

resal

Veteran
They are banned both in and out of competition. The AAF from a tested sample will incur the normal sanction, ie a ban of two years for a first offense. However, the idiots that run the show decided that only "in competition" samples would be tested for this drug and samples taken OOC are not tested for it. Therefore, whilst a TUE should be generated for OOC use, nobody bothers because they know that an AAF will never be generated. This modification to the testing protocol was introduced about 6 years ago. So you have a nice little pact - "we wont look and don't you tell us that you are using it." Therefore, only somebody who believes in Santa would think that although the TUE was only for one injection, that was the limit of the dose applied.

They are banned both in and out of competition. The AAF from a tested sample will incur the normal sanction, ie a ban of two years for a first offense. However, the idiots that run the show decided that only "in competition" samples would be tested for this drug and samples taken OOC are not tested for it. Therefore, whilst a TUE should be generated for OOC use, nobody bothers because they know that an AAF will never be generated. This modification to the testing protocol was introduced about 6 years ago. So you have a nice little pact - "we wont look and don't you tell us that you are using it." Therefore, only somebody who believes in Santa would think that although the TUE was only for one injection, that was the limit of the dose applied.
And it wouldn't red flag on the bio passport. I kinda doubt that.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Soory - I'm struggling here. What defines 'out of competition'. In other words, if you are training three or four weeks before a GT are you 'out of competition'? Apologies if everybody else knows the answer to this.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I found this on the USADA site
S9. Glucocorticoids

The systemic use of glucocorticoids (often called “steroids” by prescribers) is prohibited in-competition. WADA defines systematic routes as oral intake (taken by mouth and swallowed, e.g. Medrol Dose Pak), a systemic injection into the vein (IV) or muscle (IM), or rectal use.

Advisory:

An athlete who is prescribed oral, rectal, IV, or IM glucocorticoids may take these medications out-of-competition without submitting a TUE, as long as the prohibited substance has cleared their system prior to the time defined as “in-competition.” If an athlete needs to use these routes of administration shortly before or during competition, he or she must obtain a TUE.
The time it takes for glucocorticoids to clear from an athlete’s body depends on many variables and cannot be predicted by USADA. An athlete’s doctor or pharmacist can help determine the medication’s clearance time. Read the Clearance Time FAQ on the TUE page.
Injections of glucocorticoids around tendons, into joints, and epidural spaces (into the spine) are not prohibited, but an injection into a muscle is prohibited.
Inhalation of glucocorticoids (e.g. for asthma) is permitted.
Topical use of glucocorticoids (e.g., anti-rash cream, hemorrhoid creams used on the surface, etc.) are not prohibited. Be aware, however, that some hemorrhoid suppositories or inserted rectal creams contain glucocorticoids and are prohibited in-competition.

On the WADA site S9 GLUCOCORTICOIDS appear under "prohibited in-competition" but do not appear under "prohibited at all times"

@dellzeqq As to the definition of "in-competition" I found this on the UKAD site

WADA define in-competition as “the period commencing 12 hours before competition… through to the end of such competition and the sample-collection process related to such competition”, unless stated otherwise by the rules of an IF or other relevant anti-doping organisation.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
so - again, if this is completely wrong, tell me so......a rider could take glucocorticoids in the run up to a race without fear of sanction?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
so - again, if this is completely wrong, tell me so......a rider could take glucocorticoids in the run up to a race without fear of sanction?
Well according to this blog from 2013 (Note, it's only a blog, not an official site, and it's 3 years old so caveat)

Astonishingly, cortisone is in exactly the same category as Wada’s class of ‘stimulants’ which aren’t banned out of competition. Thus, you could be training like a man possessed, off your tits on cocaine, grinding your teeth to paste on Peruvian marching powder and, as long as it was out of your system on race day, there’s no risk of a positive. Yes, that’s right, if you are confronted with an out of competition test after days of training on a cocktail of cortisone, cocaine and amphetamines, you have nothing to worry about (except a little gossip perhaps), because cocaine and a long list of stimulants aren’t tested for – because none are prohibited out of competition. Train hard, race easy, right Wada?

He refers to "cortisone" and "glucocorticoids" and "corticosteroids" pretty much interchangeably in the blog. I don't know enough to know whether this is right.

The Bio passport has a steroid module which can identify if exogenous steroids have been taken (urine sample). So any steroid taken as medication shows up. You would therefore expect any glucocorticoid usage, especially for a program of weight loss to flag and need explanation. I say expect because it's pretty difficult to find any detailed explanation of what the passport panels look for and discuss.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Let me fix that for you

Smoker Wiggins was given a shot of what most doctors do not ever give hayfever sufferers, but some doctors use as a last resort in the most serious cases. It has massive performance enhancing side effects and its use and abuse via TUEs has a fearsome reputation within and outside the pro peloton. The timing was critical, each time just before Wiggins main goal for the season and at exactly the right time to achieve the side effects its reputation demand it is used. Its use by Wiggins matched that time in his career when he achieved his best power to weight ratios.

Kenalog intramuscular injections were a lot more common in the past (5-10 years ago). I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but one of the places I read one of the bits you quote further down actually mentions/hints at what I've just said so for completeness I find your post a bit odd for neglecting to say this. In 2016, yes, the kenalog looks completely batshit crazy. In 2011 when it was given it is less so and looks shady. If it was another formulation of triamcinolone then I wouldn't find it that suspicious though. Some might question today whether the injection was the sanest thing to do from a health of the patient point of view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom