Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
He did speak well but my overall impression from the transcript and the interview is that he's chosen to spin this a particular way now and that perhaps he was a bit more blasé about these treatments when he didn't think any of this would come out. I also find it difficult to believe that someone with such a knowledge of the history of the sport, good and bad, would just shrug their shoulders and say he trusts the medics to make the right decision, I wouldn't. I think there's a lot more he's not saying. I think he's trod on the wrong side of the ethical divide and knew he was when he did so.

Fair enough I reckon. As was said earlier, there not much more going to come from this.

I read his part one on Sky yesterday and thought it was very good and pretty much exposed the flawed base that they set off from.

The 'No, I've never had an injection - oh that one, ah well, that didn't count as an injection' kind of got me.

Interesting that according to the latest transcript that he avoided answering why what he said about triamcinolone had changed.
"Can you clarify one thing, in 2016 you appeared to answer when asked by the Guardian if you had taken triamcinolone out of competition that you didn't, yet in the report now we hear you have acknowledged that you did indeed take it out of competition? Can you explain that discrepancy?
"I never used it in competition without a TUE. So until I had that piece of paper and that document that said I was authorised to take it, it was never took. Out of competition, I had an injection after the 2013 Giro d'Italia, when I came out with a knee problem"

So, no, he couldn't explain the discrepancy in what he'd said previously.

He appeared to be very fond of his 'level playing field' too.

All very interesting whatever the truth proves to be.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The 'No, I've never had an injection - oh that one, ah well, that didn't count as an injection' kind of got me.

Interesting that according to the latest transcript that he avoided answering why what he said about triamcinolone had changed.
"Can you clarify one thing, in 2016 you appeared to answer when asked by the Guardian if you had taken triamcinolone out of competition that you didn't, yet in the report now we hear you have acknowledged that you did indeed take it out of competition? Can you explain that discrepancy?
"I never used it in competition without a TUE. So until I had that piece of paper and that document that said I was authorised to take it, it was never took. Out of competition, I had an injection after the 2013 Giro d'Italia, when I came out with a knee problem"

So, no, he couldn't explain the discrepancy in what he'd said previously.

He appeared to be very fond of his 'level playing field' too.

All very interesting whatever the truth proves to be.
how could bradley acknowledge taking it in the report when he was never interviewed??

I think we just need to agree that the MPs have got it right, an ethical line was crossed; anything else in terms of jumping up and down to defend Wiggins/Brailsford/Sky is just the words of apologists, so no point discussing it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think we just need to agree that the MPs have got it right, an ethical line was crossed; anything else in terms of jumping up and down to defend Wiggins/Brailsford/Sky is just the words of apologists, so no point discussing it.

Lionel Birnie did another piece about yesterday's news, which I think sums it all up nicely:
"I spent the morning reading the reaction to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee’s report into doping in sport, and there was plenty of it. Some of it was excellent, informed, measured and human. Some of it was absolute nonsense. And some of it was somewhere in between. I think that sums up the reaction to pretty much everything that happens, though, doesn’t it."
https://www.lionelbirnie.com/blog/2018/3/6/the-pressure-to-express-an-opinion

(This is also the piece where he picks up on the reference to the Tour as a Classic, as mentioned by @Dogtrousers.)

jowwy

so basically we have to agree with your opinion or get lost??

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Grossly unfair to the innocent parties and would never survive a legal challenge in any court. Look at the fiasco with the Russian athletes and there was an altogether stronger case to be made there about banning the nation, as a team.

Those clean team mates are possibly the ideal people to pressurise others to do , possibly the opposite to what going on now ?

As for 'grossly unfair' is that compared to doping ?

Fair enough I reckon. As was said earlier, there not much more going to come from this.

I think if there's more to come out we might have to wait for a Biography or two or someone else to be caught up in a different web of intrigue. A collapse of Sky might provide the necessary.

jowwy

If you read what was written - no report was mentioned.

According to the transcript, it was the Guardian he told he had never taken it out of competition, and now he says he did.
yet in the report now we hear you have acknowledged that you did indeed take it out of competition?

so the report was mentioned in your post

Reactions: mjr

hoopdriver

Guru
Those clean team mates are possibly the ideal people to pressurise others to do , possibly the opposite to what going on now ?

As for 'grossly unfair' is that compared to doping ?
They might possibly be serial killers or pedophiles too - tell you what, let's just jail the lot of them, on spec, cuz you just never know...

david k

Hi
I'm more inclined to believe that they manipulated the rules to suit the rider, but we may never know for sure as how can we honestly say they didn't make the decision for the right reasons? It seems to be intent that is in question, how can we disprove their true intent?

As previously posted, if there wasn't a TUE available for this drug it wouldn't be an issue, but it was available througha TUE so open for someone to use if they get the exemption.

Close the loophole
Accept we may never know true intent for previous TUEs, I imagine there are many others

jowwy

The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (DCMS) report said it received "confidential material from a well-placed and respected source" about Team Sky's medical policy between 2011 and 2013 that states Wiggins and a smaller group of riders trained separately from the rest of the team in preparation for the 2012 season.

So who was this small group of riders? was froome one of them? was cavendish one of them? bernie esisel? eddie boss? michael rogers? richie port?.........................?????? to many allegedlies and not enough fact based evidence

Top Bottom