Frozen chips......may I recommend these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s what we usually buy

To be honest, I have no idea. I was just told ten minutes in advance that I had to give a presentation on Dutch culture. So patat met it was. 6 out of 10 was very flattering.

Bintje, by the way, was the name of the female assistant to the agronomist who developed the race.

Yep we do.
And so do the people who buy it....
The Dextrose is for browning.

's a vicious circle though, isn't it...

I've noticed - mainly because I'm not adverse to buying potatoes on yellow sticker - that different varieties behave differently when I turn them into chips. Some brown far more quickly than others, which is, as you infer due to added dextrose, down to a higher sugar content.

Guess you could do away with the dextrose by changing to a different variety of potato, but it's never that simple. Specially when it's better to have a potato that gives a good yield to satisfy demand. And of course, it's law of sod that there's not going to be much overlap between the two...

Chapeau!
So, why don't we grow them in the UK? Surely it's not climate as NL and Southern Scandinavia seem to mange well enough?
Spring asparagus and boiled bintjes is a northern European culinary delight....

Bintjes are colloquially known in the coastal West Flanders where mum hails from as Duine Pataten aka dune potatoes. They need a sandy and free draining soil to thrive, which we generally don't have over much of in the UK. They'd just get waterlogged and rot in heavy fen soil.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Bintjes are colloquially known in the coastal West Flanders where mum hails from as Duine Pataten aka dune potatoes. They need a sandy and free draining soil to thrive, which we generally don't have over much of in the UK. They'd just get waterlogged and rot in heavy fen soil.

There is a small area of Cartmel by Morecambe Bay that is famous-locally-for the quality of potato grown there. The name of one of the farms give a clue, Sandgate, and yes, it is sandy soil.

Don't be too hasty!
Cut out a circle out the barely browned 'toast' and give it to brat. Then crack an egg into the remains - in a frying pan for a quite tasty novelty fried bread and egg.

Look Buster

don't give her ideas!!!!!

when I am dealing with her breakfast I also have a 2 year old needing feeding and an SEN 6 year old who needs persuading to have breakfast

That's 3 of them - on my own normally
how in the name of $deity I ever controlled a class of 30 kids is beyond me!!!

Top Bottom