Frozen chips......may I recommend these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Did anyone else have a "mystery chip" as a kid? A chip cut into a funny shape or with a hole in it. The suspense of looking for it among your chips and finding out who the lucky recipient was was the best part of the near-daily egg and chips for tea.

When the grandchildren used to stay I would often cut shapes eg gingerbread men etc.
20+ years on they still recall that.

When the grandchildren used to stay I would often cut shapes eg gingerbread men etc.
20+ years on they still recall that.

WOW
making a rod for your own back there!!!

you start witha Gingerbread man and before you know where you are you are spending all day constructing the whole cast of Shrek!!!

or having an all out war between siblings!

My Granddaughter is currently deliberately annoying me by asking for toast in circles

ain't happening!!

I was passing Aldi a few days ago so I popped in and got some of those Maris Piper chips

Not impressed really - but then everyone is different
especially my wife who seems to either be extremely fussy or have very sensitive taste buds - I make no comment as to which

Anyway - we are back to McCains for now
in a while she will say they are not nice any more and we will try Tesco own brand for a while and so on

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was passing Aldi a few days ago so I popped in and got some of those Maris Piper chips

Not impressed really - but then everyone is different
especially my wife who seems to either be extremely fussy or have very sensitive taste buds - I make no comment as to which

Anyway - we are back to McCains for now
in a while she will say they are not nice any more and we will try Tesco own brand for a while and so on

Each to his/her own.
Someone (back thread) recommended Aldis triple cooked in dripping. I bought a pack and they are (to me) okish.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I didn’t really like oven chips as they were a faff as you are supposed to turn them half way through cooking, and the results were always mediocre. ...

not with one of these...
quick_chips.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
Farmfoods too!

Handy to know.

Thanks Brandane

Gunk

Guru
Modern oven chips now all have ingredients that read like a Russian novel, even trying to find some without dextrose is like trying to find hens teeth, why is all food messed about with so much these days? The food industry has a lot to answer for.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Modern oven chips now all have ingredients that read like a Russian novel, even trying to find some without dextrose is like trying to find hens teeth, why is all food messed about with so much these days? The food industry has a lot to answer for.

Yep we do.
And so do the people who buy it....
The Dextrose is for browning.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Have a liking for Waitrose Essential crinkle cut chips; contents potato, rapeseed oil and sunflower oil.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When I was at university here in the NL, I gave an oral presentation on bintjes. I was awarded a 6 out of 10 and the other students in the lecture hall pelted the examiner round the ears with the spuds I had handed out.

Chapeau!
So, why don't we grow them in the UK? Surely it's not climate as NL and Southern Scandinavia seem to mange well enough?
Spring asparagus and boiled bintjes is a northern European culinary delight....

Top Bottom