Frozen chips......may I recommend these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Tried various without being happy. Aunt Bessies were nice but my local store has ceases stocking them.
Anyway.......I noticed these in Aldi so tried them. Chunky Maris Piper.
They really are nice. I normally go for thin chips so these do take a bit longer but well worth it imo.

The McCains Gastro ones are nice too…..also a thicker cut.

My wife seems ot have a very sensitive set of taste buds

I sometimes refer to it as being a pain in the whatsit

This means that she can tell the difference between 2 bag of chips and she will like one bag and dislike another
and they can be the same make and size and bought at the same time

We vary what we get and it seems to vary by time and make
Seems like it depends, maybe, on when the potatoes where harvested and frozen and all that stuff

The most consistant make that she will like is McCains - but then suddenly she will say that they next bag tastes "woody" or something and we have to swap to have to swap to e.g. Tesco or something

I will give ALdi a go and see what she thinks!!

Thanks for the tip - problem is that the nearest Aldi is currently a pile of rubble as they knocked it down before the pandemic saying they will be rebuilding it bigger
not started yet for $reasons

still - there is anoth on the other side of town!

vickster

Legendary Member
McCains thick crinkle chips on Tesco Clubcard special, pretty good but need a good while to cool

Dadam

This means that she can tell the difference between 2 bag of chips and she will like one bag and dislike another

Seems like it depends, maybe, on when the potatoes where harvested and frozen and all that stuff

The most consistant make that she will like is McCains - but then suddenly she will say that they next bag tastes "woody" or something and we have to swap to have to swap to e.g. Tesco or something

Thanks for the tip - problem is that the nearest Aldi is currently a pile of rubble as they knocked it down before the pandemic saying they will be rebuilding it bigger

Only thing you can do is buy potatoes from a local farm and make your own. Even then you're going to get variation between harvests. Or you could tell her not to be such a diva! :biggrin:

On a barely related note the wife's parents bought us a halogen oven years ago. Must be a long time as I reckon we hadn't used it for at least 4. Recently started doing potato wedges in it as my daughter wants to avoid processed food. What a revelation! Really thick chunky wedges (4 from a medium spud) browned and crispy and fluffy in the middle in 18 mins. Leave skin on give 'em a scrub in a little water, dry with a tea towel, chop into 4. In a bowl with a bit of salt and ground pepper and a drizzle of oil. Mix them around with your hands and arrange them on the grill. Turn half way. Yum!

Decent roasties in only a few more minutes too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a usual frozen chip eater, but I had room in the freezer so got the normal Aldi ones. They seem quite acceptable.

The skin on ones in the yellow bag are ok if a bit salty (and soggy)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

They do a million different type of chips. Make sure its the chunky Maris Piper.

Jody

Stubborn git
Tried various without being happy. Aunt Bessies were nice but my local store has ceases stocking them.
Anyway.......I noticed these in Aldi so tried them. Chunky Maris Piper.
They really are nice. I normally go for thin chips so these do take a bit longer but well worth it imo.

There is only Sainsburys that stock AB chips now.

PITA having to go to Sainsburys just for chips but they are the only ones I like.

Needs must

You mean you guys actually have SPACE in the freezer for frozen chips? :crazy:

Doesn't take long to make your own. I use a diddly little deep fat fryer that I had in my student days. I simply scrub and cut up a few tatties and fry them. Mind, I will use Maris Piper tatties as they're the best, and fry in beef dripping.

Happy days! :hungry:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You mean you guys actually have SPACE in the freezer for frozen chips? :crazy:

Doesn't take long to make your own. I use a diddly little deep fat fryer that I had in my student days. I simply scrub and cut up a few tatties and fry them. Mind, I will use Maris Piper tatties as they're the best, and fry in beef dripping.

Happy days! :hungry:

mmmm beef dripping.
You really have my taste buds going now 🙂

Dripping really does make the best chips. :blush:

Now if only I could get duine pataten (bintjes) here in the UK... They're used along the Belgian coast to make chips, and they're the only potato that out-chips a piper...

Top Bottom