Fruit Pastilles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Crikey, I forgot how nice they are.
Popped round to see the three elder grandaughters (18, 14 and 10) and they were eating fruit pastilles. I havnt had any in maybe 30 years.
Taste explosion, I havnt had that sensation in a long time. I rarely eat sweet stuff, some chocolate occasionally but rarely ever sweets.

Ooh.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I always prefered Fruit Gums but I don't think you can get them now. When I was cycling longer distances I'd have a packet of pastilles in my bag to have the occasional treat. But I rarely eat sweets so a packet tended to last for months.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Fruit pastilles were always a weird sweet; nothing wrong with them but as kids they weren't the go-to. I did have one a few years ago when my son had a packet and yes they were very nice. It's all Haribo these days though, which I don't really like. The fruit pastille would be perfect if they left out the dark purple ones

If you want to properly screw up your teeth I remember Thornton's Special Toffee was the way to go

Guaranteed to extract fillings - and sometimes teeth!

I think that was the foundation for the pensions of most dentists!

All the Thornton's shop shave closed that I know of - there was one here but it became a normal chocolate/posh sweet shop then dissappeared

shame - damn good Ice Cream as well

did they go bust??

srj10

Guru
If you want to properly screw up your teeth I remember Thornton's Special Toffee was the way to go

All the Thornton's shop shave closed that I know of - there was one here but it became a normal chocolate/posh sweet shop then dissappeared

did they go bust??
They are still around but are concessions in other stores, a greetings card store near me and are available online

Alex321

Veteran
Fruit pastels are ace. Not had any for a couple of years though but they still hit the spot.

You can still get fruit gums. As a bonus, they don't rip your teeth out anymore since the recipe change

They are still pretty sticky, too much so for my wife when we can't get the liquorice tablets she likes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fruit pastels are ace. Not had any for a couple of years though but they still hit the spot.

You can still get fruit gums. As a bonus, they don't rip your teeth out anymore since the recipe change

Yes i preferred pastilles to gums, mainly as the latter always stuck in your teeth. I also liked the newberry fruits that came in a box like disappointing chocolates - my gran used to have them at Xmas. Aldi do a very nice knock off version in a bag that is far more reasonably priced.

Alex321

Veteran

did they go bust??

No, but they closed all their stores. They still sell through supermarkets (boxes only) and have some shops within stores that sell the selection of chocolates like their own stores used to, and they sell online https://www.thorntons.com/uk/en/c/chocolates.

Top Bottom