Frustration choosing a 2014 Endurance road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive narrowed it down to three:

Cannondale Synapse 105
Roubaix
Giant Defy 1

Roubaix has a seriously underwhelming groupset (sora !! ) for the money and 2 boat anchors for wheels , the top tubes are also very long in that my size 54 would be 548mm long.

Giant Defy 1 has mostly 105 groupset but tekttro brakes , a bumbreaker of a stock saddle and again the wheels aint nothing to write home about

The Synapse for 2014 looks top banana but stock shimano rs10 wheels are dreadful in that those straight pull spokes just aint up to less than perfect roads and it would be such a shame to be yanking the wheels off a brand new bike.

So im still chewing my pencil into which one will just deliver a beautifully smooth and least fatiguing century ride without having to change too much on the bike. Im 5 feet and 9 inches tall and would read with interest which bike out of the three you would choose given my situation.

Kies

Giant defy 1 - i have the 2012 version - i pull the lever,the bike stops. They may weigh a couple of grammes more than 105 brakes, but so what.

videoman

Guru
I'm looking for the same sort of bike and have been looking at a Trek Domain 2.0 triple. Still can't make a decision though as I would really like a triple being old and the places I intend riding but the Defy 1 only has a double.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Always found the brakes on the Defy to be more than adequate- especially if you decide to swap in some decent blocks.
I'm awaiting the Felt Z85 2014 as an endurance road bike, the 2013 had splatters of 105 on it.
I was also very disappointed by the Roubaix components- not sure what's gone wrong there.
Out of your 3 I'd go Defy but I'm holding out for a few more to come on the scene.

VamP

Banned
It's not clear what your budget is, but I saw the 2014 Roubaix around £1800?

I would give some thought to something like this. Granted, it's not billed as an ''endurance'' road bike, for whatever that's worth, but it has fairly long head tube, and it is exceptionally comfortable for all day riding, while at the same time packing a real racing punch. The VCLS 2.0 seatpost is raved about as the ultimate in comfort, and I have to confirm that it is very very plush. Still as comfy after 150 miles in the saddle as when you started.

For your money you get full Athena, and Ksyriums, and only a few hundred grams aboce UCI weight limit.

It's a hell of a bike. Put some 25mm high TPI rubber on, and latex tubes, and it will be as comfortable as any of the bikes you're looking at now.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
^ this is true- the defy 1 is £1k and roubaixs are up to £1800 like you say.
That Canyon is super nice btw, work related bike p0rn for the day!

BSRU

A Human Being
Out of the three I would choose the Roubaix, mainly because I have Secteur(the aluminium version of the Roubaix) and I know how good it feels.
Although I would pay extra for the 105 version and negotiate with the LBS to swap the wheels for some Mavics.

Cannot argue about the Canyons, staggering value for money.

Ive narrowed it down to three:

Cannondale Synapse 105
Roubaix
Giant Defy 1

Roubaix has a seriously underwhelming groupset (sora !! ) for the money and 2 boat anchors for wheels , the top tubes are also very long in that my size 54 would be 548mm long.

Giant Defy 1 has mostly 105 groupset but tekttro brakes , a bumbreaker of a stock saddle and again the wheels aint nothing to write home about

The Synapse for 2014 looks top banana but stock shimano rs10 wheels are dreadful in that those straight pull spokes just aint up to less than perfect roads and it would be such a shame to be yanking the wheels off a brand new bike.

So im still chewing my pencil into which one will just deliver a beautifully smooth and least fatiguing century ride without having to change too much on the bike. Im 5 feet and 9 inches tall and would read with interest which bike out of the three you would choose given my situation.

Have you ridden any of them?

OP
OP
Steaming Pile

Steaming Pile

Regular
I was actually trying a lovely white 2013 Roubaix which I thought was just lovely and cost £1200, when I looked closer at the groupset and saw Sora you cant imagine my horror. I said to the guy in the shop is this some kind of joke,sora on a bike costing £1200. Ive tried a 2013 synapse which was great too, the 2014 synapse has some geometry changes and the bikes wont be available to try for another couple of weeks .

2014 ranges seem common in the downgrade of specification across all ranges with a few exceptions. A 2013 bike will probably get you better value and better spec if you can get one.

I really like the Tuono.

I really want an Ares SL in green/white. They look stunning in the flesh.

2014 ranges seem common in the downgrade of specification across all ranges with a few exceptions. A 2013 bike will probably get you better value and better spec if you can get one.

2014 Sora is basically the same as last year's Tiagra. Apart from a few indistinguishable grammes of weight, there's won't be much - if any - difference.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i to took ages to decide did look at the roubaix but overpriced for what it is...so then looked at the defy...
before discovering the domane 5.9 compact...

Top Bottom