Frustration choosing a 2014 Endurance road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
2014 Sora is basically the same as last year's Tiagra. Apart from a few indistinguishable grammes of weight, there's won't be much - if any - difference.

Are you sure about that? They've only just put 'proper' shifers on this years Sora, so it's going to be 10 speed next year?

Tony.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Go and ride the bikes, buy the one which feels the best rather than the one which looks the best on paper.
My favourite bike from the ones I own is not the one with the best specification, its the one which makes me smile

jugglingphil

I have RS10s on CAAD9. They've not caused me any problems and I can't believe the roads around Nottingham are any better than elsewhere.
Whether they meet your liking elsewhere, that's for you to decide.

I love the process of buying a bike, so don't rush it. Try as many as you can, until you fall in love.

doog

No probs with RS10's here either. Im doing the old' ride them to destruction so I can get lighter wheels thing '- but they seemingly wont destruct and are still as true as the day the bike turned up, 1500 miles ago.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I'm just slightly jealous the OP has got it down to 3- my 'potential bikes for next years C2W' came out 27 on my excel sheet, this then got narrowed by removing sora/ +£900 and -£750 bikes and it's still on 15.

eml1909

Don't want to hijack this thread, but since I'm also looking at a 2014 "Endurance" bike, I thought I'd throw a couple of alternatives into the mix. At present, my shortlist includes the Cannondale Synapse (which has had excellent reviews) but also the Bianchi Infinito and the Colagno CX Zero. Any views?

Also, whilst I'm familiar with the concept of "N+1", I am not yet convinced that I will get any real benefit from an (expensive) carbon bike. I currently ride a Condor Titanium touring bike (with Campag Athena 11-speed) and I love it. I use it for commuting and also for long-ish rides at the weekend (50-100km). The idea would be to buy a carbon bike for summertime commuting and for sportives, but I am still not sure that it is worth it..... I find my current bike very comfortable and fast enough for what I do. I am not into racing and I am not a speed freak, although I do like to push myself and am always trying to beat my Strava times. (I am planning to ride Alpe de Huez and/or Ventoux next summer.)

Will I really notice the benefit of a carbon frame, or should I just keep the money (and perhaps spend it upgrading my current bike)? Any views or thoughts would be most welcome!

BSRU

A Human Being
Don't want to hijack this thread, but since I'm also looking at a 2014 "Endurance" bike, I thought I'd throw a couple of alternatives into the mix. At present, my shortlist includes the Cannondale Synapse (which has had excellent reviews) but also the Bianchi Infinito and the Colagno CX Zero. Any views?

Also, whilst I'm familiar with the concept of "N+1", I am not yet convinced that I will get any real benefit from an (expensive) carbon bike. I currently ride a Condor Titanium touring bike (with Campag Athena 11-speed) and I love it. I use it for commuting and also for long-ish rides at the weekend (50-100km). The idea would be to buy a carbon bike for summertime commuting and for sportives, but I am still not sure that it is worth it..... I find my current bike very comfortable and fast enough for what I do. I am not into racing and I am not a speed freak, although I do like to push myself and am always trying to beat my Strava times. (I am planning to ride Alpe de Huez and/or Ventoux next summer.)

Will I really notice the benefit of a carbon frame, or should I just keep the money (and perhaps spend it upgrading my current bike)? Any views or thoughts would be most welcome!
If I were you I would spend it upgrading you current bike.

michaelcycle

I find my current bike very comfortable and fast enough for what I do.

You've just answered your own question there surely?

eml1909

You've just answered your own question there surely?
What happened to "n+1"?

Yes, I do like my current bike, but as my cycling improves and I become more experienced, I'm keen to try new things. A couple of years ago, I struggled to make it to work and back (18 miles round trip) but now I go looking for big hills. I rode London 2 Paris this Summery and loved it.

People have suggested that I'd find a carbon road bike more sporty, more responsive and better fun. I assume that a carbon bike has a very different feel to a Titanium bike.

I have a "special" birthday coming up and so I can justify the cost of an "n+1", but what I'm not yet sure about is whether it's worth spending the money.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I love the idea of N+1 but I only ever ride the bike I enjoy the most, the other one languishes in the Shed!

eml1909

I think I will always have a use for the Titanium bike for commuting (because it has pannier racks which I need). My fear is that I will spend £3.5K on a carbon bike but then find that I still prefer the Titanium. I think that that's unlikely and I'm pretty sure that I will prefer the Carbon frame for sportives / weekend riding. However, never having ridden a carbon frame before, I just can't be sure....

eml1909

The guy at Bespoke trying to sell me a Colnago had this to say: "The Colnago would fit like a glove, handle like a dream and have a very different ride feel to your Condor making it a perfect 'weekend blasting' machine"

But he would say that, wouldn't he?!

Top Bottom