FS or Hardtail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Hi all,

I live in North Wales and have been riding a CX bike for around a year or so. For the past 6 months it's been a dedicated road / path only bike. The main reason for this being, a few mates have road bikes and keeping up with them on knobbly CX tyres was a nightmare and the paths and trails round here, were just a bit too much for a CX bike.
I'm looking at picking up a mountain bike so I can get back in to the dirtier stuff but I'm not sure if a hardtail would suffice, or whether I should go whole hog and grab a low end full suspension bike. I'd like to ride Llandegla, Marin, Coed Y Brenin etc. For these trails, would a full suspension bike be required? or would a hard tail manage?

FYI for a hardtail I was drawn to the Halfords Voodoo Bazinga 29er. For a full suspension bike, cost would be a more limiting factor. I've seen a KTM FS bike at my LBS for £1k.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
You can ride pretty much any of those trails on a HT.

IMHO unless you are looking to send some serious money (1K is absolute bottom end, better off adding another £500 - £1000) then you will always be better off buying a decent HT than a full susser.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that may be the case re: bottom end FS or mid range HT.
I just have no idea about the more technical requirements of those trails.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Go for the HT, unless you can afford a good FS, i Spent £1100 on a FS a few years back, and at that money the rear shock is rubbish,I will eventually get a HT frame and swop it all over. A HT can do it all and they are lighter.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Im in the same boat, budget is negotiable but I can't find a particularly well specced FS below £1400 (Been looking at Giant Anthem/Trance + Canyon Nerve AL 6/7)

Id still be tempted by a well sorted HT, probably Carbon framed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'll vouch for that as I bought one in December, excellent bike.

Try Googling the model name, seen it much cheaper than £999.

After your recommendation in the tetchy thread, I had a brief go on one of these yesterday.

A bit over my budget, and my mountain bike plans are not fully formed, but I was very impressed with the bike.

Saved me looking any further, can't see the point - I either want one of those or will leave it for the time being.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would prefer a nice hardtail to a cheap FS. In fact, I don't really like riding fast over gnarly stuff, and am more interested in climbing so the lighter weight of the hardtail would always be my first choice.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
TBH at that price I'd be wanting better than Alivio gearing and Suntour suspention....

Have a look at Decathlons offering for the same price (26" wheeler though).
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockride...l#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

If you can run to another £100 then the planet X parkwood is going to be hard to beat for the money....
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-sram-x5-mountain-bike

Alternatively if you're a short-arse or freakishly tall look at the offerings on Pauls cycles for something from a major manufacturer at a knock-down price ( although you may struggle if you want a "normal size" as they tend to go quickly).

Jody

Stubborn git
Less than 12 months old (maybe slightly biased)

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-GIAN...1201532075?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item566d55e0ab

Top Bottom