FS or Hardtail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1780

So I take it you like Vitus. I am considering one next time around. I've never seen one here so am wondering about finish, build quality etc etc??

As for the OP question I'd go for a HT over FS unless youre going to spend big money and are certain you'll make use of a FS bike. IMHO HT are more versatile and can handle what most riders will throw at them they are also lighter and climb better on the flat you'll be faster.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So I take it you like Vitus. I am considering one next time around. I've never seen one here so am wondering about finish, build quality etc etc??

As for the OP question I'd go for a HT over FS unless youre going to spend big money and are certain you'll make use of a FS bike. IMHO HT are more versatile and can handle what most riders will throw at them they are also lighter and climb better on the flat you'll be faster.
I'd never doubt build quality :smile:

16397_340767902767808_5969738449118447179_n.jpg
10644935_340768272767771_1755660637773593837_n.jpg
10687089_340768162767782_2118744957988343429_n.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Granted the brakes/goodridge cables/wheels and BB were my additions from standard bike, they are still fantastic value. I paid £1200 for this, Full carbon with nearly full Ultegra, standard wheels were Ksyrium Equipe that I still swap to occasionally. And tbh, against the Cervelos, Giants, Cannondales and the odd Pinarello of an average club run, it's obviously the best looking bike and as you can see, I like immaculate bikes.

Oh and this. Changed my MTB every year for the last 3-4. 9x3 Alivio is more suited to trail riders than riders who give bikes a bit of abuse like me. Forks aren't that bad at all but they lacked a pressure guide so they took a little effort in getting pressure right.

10152016_974758979207326_2019197591993682075_n.jpg

My other bike is blue too :laugh: @ianrauk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Visited Halfords & the LBS on Saturday and tried out a few bikes.

Voodoo Bizango: Looks horrible and felt big and chunky (too much so). Wasn't very impressed but then I was only pottering around Halford's car park. Didn't like the 29" wheels.

Ghost Tacana 2: I actually quite liked this, and it came in below budget at £480. I just wasn't a fan of the 29inch wheels, felt very unwieldy.

Ghost Kato 3: This was the first 27.5er I tried and I was immediately happier with the wheels, however the bike felt clunky, not sure why to be honest, it just didn't feel "as nice" and the colour was hideous.

KTM Ultra Fire 27.5 17" frame: Really liked the look of this bike, grey with black and red. Felt nice, build quality felt better than the Ghost's however, I think due to frame size the bike felt cramped.

KTM Ultra Fire 27.5 19" frame: This was my favourite, had the build quality and I liked the wheel size, according to the KTM size guide, being 5'9" I should be on the 17" frame, but I think that's for the 29er version. On the 27.5 wheels the 19" frame felt better. Also, the bike was discounted by £60, so this is the one I'm going for.

Oldbloke

Guru
Visited Halfords & the LBS on Saturday and tried out a few bikes.

Voodoo Bizango: Looks horrible and felt big and chunky (too much so). Wasn't very impressed but then I was only pottering around Halford's car park. Didn't like the 29" wheels.

Ghost Tacana 2: I actually quite liked this, and it came in below budget at £480. I just wasn't a fan of the 29inch wheels, felt very unwieldy.

Ghost Kato 3: This was the first 27.5er I tried and I was immediately happier with the wheels, however the bike felt clunky, not sure why to be honest, it just didn't feel "as nice" and the colour was hideous.

KTM Ultra Fire 27.5 17" frame: Really liked the look of this bike, grey with black and red. Felt nice, build quality felt better than the Ghost's however, I think due to frame size the bike felt cramped.

KTM Ultra Fire 27.5 19" frame: This was my favourite, had the build quality and I liked the wheel size, according to the KTM size guide, being 5'9" I should be on the 17" frame, but I think that's for the 29er version. On the 27.5 wheels the 19" frame felt better. Also, the bike was discounted by £60, so this is the one I'm going for.

Good choice @Ootini, that's now 2 of us KTM owners on here, at least. Enjoy!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nice choice. The 19" frame will give you a slightly more stretched out feel, and if you're used to riding a cross bike that makes sense. Enjoy it!

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Now I've just got to find some decent off road routes and trails. I like the idea of Llandegla, CYB, Marin etc but they're more weekend trips. Are there any sites or resources that would show me off road routes and paths in my local area ? (which is N Wales btw).

Cubist

Still wavin'
Llandegla is a day trip for me.... from Huddersfield!
Visit MB Wales ; http://www.mbwales.com/ or treat yourself to a guide book. You are in prime MTB country there, so an OS Map or subscription would be a start point. Exploring is the key..... check out bridleways on the map, zoom in on Google Earth satellite view, and go and play.

Vertebrate publishing do some great guide books: http://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/mountain-biking/wales-mountain-biking.html

MBR do some good guides: http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes

Otherwise, log onto mapping sites like Bikely, Bike Hike, Mapmyride, Garmin Connect, Strava and search for segments or routes near where you fancy

Now I've just got to find some decent off road routes and trails. I like the idea of Llandegla, CYB, Marin etc but they're more weekend trips. Are there any sites or resources that would show me off road routes and paths in my local area ? (which is N Wales btw).

How far are you from Delamere Forest. There's some nice variety of riding to be had there.

shadow master

Granted the brakes/goodridge cables/wheels and BB were my additions from standard bike, they are still fantastic value. I paid £1200 for this, Full carbon with nearly full Ultegra, standard wheels were Ksyrium Equipe that I still swap to occasionally. And tbh, against the Cervelos, Giants, Cannondales and the odd Pinarello of an average club run, it's obviously the best looking bike and as you can see, I like immaculate bikes.

Oh and this. Changed my MTB every year for the last 3-4. 9x3 Alivio is more suited to trail riders than riders who give bikes a bit of abuse like me. Forks aren't that bad at all but they lacked a pressure guide so they took a little effort in getting pressure right.

View attachment 77799

My other bike is blue too :laugh: @ianrauk
That MTB must ride well extended like that!!!not,obviously didn't have your size on offer!

Top Bottom