[FS] Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in Black - 32GB - N910F

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Er, a Moto G (original edition) was going to be a spare phone until I got a big phone. I've saved time and money and gone straight for the big phone!

An old Moto G was never going to be able to do what I need my main phone to do. For example, I have a humungous 12 GB of OS maps that would make the mere 8 GB of the Moto G 'somewhat over-full' ... :whistle:

A brand spanking new Moto G5 OTOH would have been great (16 GB storage PLUS a microSD card slot and so on) but they will not be available until April and will cost £169.

I am getting an HTC One M8, a phone that I wanted 3 years ago but could not afford then because they cost £530 at the time. A recently updated review said "Since the One M8 was released in 2014, it is close to impossible to find it new - however looking on eBay, you might find it in fantastic condition or open-box for under £220. At under £220, the One M8 is great value for money for a smartphone that's not only powerful, but also has an excellent build quality." I paid £85 ...

So, providing that the phone is as advertised and proves reliable, I will not be banging MY head against a wall!

I think I probably will still buy a cheap phone for an emergency spare, but I will be looking at a very basic 'feature phone' costing no more than £5-10. I'll put a PAYG SIM in it with £10 worth of credit and probably never use that up.
No you are right, it is ME banging my head against a wall. Just see all your quotes above and maybe you may realise why.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Conclusion after using the M8 for nearly a month: A really nice phone!

I updated it to Marshmallow (Android 6) and that allowed me to reformat the SD card to act as if internal memory. It means that effectively I have a phone with 80 GB of internal memory, plenty for all the apps that I am ever likely to install, my all-UK OS maps, and any photos and videos that I want to take on long trips away.

The display can be made bright enough to be seen on sunny days.

The speakers are great for a phone. I no longer feel the need to use my Bluetooth extension speaker.

The GPS is spectacularly good. It is sensitive enough to pick satellites when my old Garmin doesn't and it can lock on in less than 5 seconds. It means that I can put the phone to sleep to save battery power on walks/bike rides but very quickly wake it up to check where I am.

I have the phone set so that a 3-finger upward swipe on the screen brings up the menu to wirelessly connect the phone display to my TV - very handy for watching Eurosport Player on the big screen since the TV's Player app has been discontinued.

I have set a shortcut to switch on the phone camera if I raise the phone while holding the volume up button, and once the camera app is active I can use that button to take pictures rather than having to tap on the screen. The camera resolution is fairly low by modern standards but the pictures that I have taken so far have been quite good, and especially under dim light conditions. I just want to work out how to get the phone to save RAW images. (It isn't supposed to but there are hacks to get it to work.)

An excellent buy!

Top Bottom