FSA 50T Chain ring bolts ??

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by wam68, 19 Jul 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi
    I am gonna change the big chain ring on a bike after having noticed several teeth missing. Having read up on it it seems pretty straight forward ( he hopes ) however all the articles make mention of a special tool, in addition to the allen key, needed to stop the back of the bolts slipping when tightening. I don't have one and as such would rather not buy one if there is another way of preventing this slippage. Do any of the more knowledgeable members on line know if there is another method of tightening without resorting to buying another tool. Any help appreciated as I hope to do it tomorrow. Thanks

2. oldroadman

oldroadman Veteran

Get the correct tool and do the job properly. Quite how you "noticed" missing teeth without feeling anything is a surprise. Surely a quick visual check on a frequent basis (when you come in from a ride) is something we all do? Perhaps wanting to do things without wanting to do them correctly has led to this unfortunate state of affairs.

3. Oh FFS forget about it !

4. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

Use steel allen ones and a screwdriver will do the back side.

wam68 and raleighnut like this.
  5. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Have used screwdrivers or any bit of metal that stops it turning. Even a hacksaw blade. Some bolts are allen key fittings on both sides which eliminates the problem.

wam68 likes this.
  6. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

What he said, i use a wood chisel :smile:

wam68 likes this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

The tool is only a few pounds to buy, but as others have said, a screwdriver or suchlike will do.

8. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

Are the teeth really missing, or are they the specially shaped ones that help shifting?

9. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

Like your the world expert on everyone else's chain rings! Generally it's best to be helpful, amusing or silent.

wam68 and HarryTheDog like this.
  10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I just use my big screwdriver on the slot at the back (It's about all I ever use it for as it is too big to fit most screws. :whistle:)

wam68 likes this.
  11. pawl

pawl Veteran

Or check them when you take them out the pot following there overnight soak.

Damm have I ms read the question again

wam68 and Sharky like this.
  12. Thanks Ajaz Bay,

Job done. All sorted :okay:

13. Needed it done this morning Ian. Race after tea. Cheers Anyhous

ianrauk likes this.
  14. Na, Tim just noticed it after an Aussie Pursuit. 2 really were missing. Anyhous thanks to some suggestions here got the chain ring swapped this morning without further ado. Have to admit sounds beautiful now

Leaway2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice