FSA 50T Chain ring bolts ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
I am gonna change the big chain ring on a bike after having noticed several teeth missing. Having read up on it it seems pretty straight forward ( he hopes ) however all the articles make mention of a special tool, in addition to the allen key, needed to stop the back of the bolts slipping when tightening. I don't have one and as such would rather not buy one if there is another way of preventing this slippage. Do any of the more knowledgeable members on line know if there is another method of tightening without resorting to buying another tool. Any help appreciated as I hope to do it tomorrow. Thanks

oldroadman

Veteran
Get the correct tool and do the job properly. Quite how you "noticed" missing teeth without feeling anything is a surprise. Surely a quick visual check on a frequent basis (when you come in from a ride) is something we all do? Perhaps wanting to do things without wanting to do them correctly has led to this unfortunate state of affairs.

Sharky

Guru
Have used screwdrivers or any bit of metal that stops it turning. Even a hacksaw blade. Some bolts are allen key fittings on both sides which eliminates the problem.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Get the correct tool and do the job properly. Quite how you "noticed" missing teeth without feeling anything is a surprise. Surely a quick visual check on a frequent basis (when you come in from a ride) is something we all do? Perhaps wanting to do things without wanting to do them correctly has led to this unfortunate state of affairs.
Like your the world expert on everyone else's chain rings! Generally it's best to be helpful, amusing or silent.

pawl

Legendary Member

Or check them when you take them out the pot following there overnight soak.

Damm have I ms read the question again

Top Bottom