FTP test. Trainer or Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
If you'll be doing most of your winter training on the turbo then ftptesting on the turbo makes more sense IMO. Then when spring comes and you start training outdoors more then test outdoors.

My ftptest on the turbo is a 2x20. Every few month or so I do them at the highest power I can sustain. Obviously you need to have a reasonable idea of what your ftpis before you do this test. I find that the average of the 2 20min intervals is a good approximation for my on road ftpso it works for me.

My rule of thumb is that if you can hold what you believe to be your ftpreasonably comfortably for 2 x 20 intervals then you've probably underestimated your ftpand if you struggle to complete 2 x 20 intervals at anything more than ~97% ftpthen you've probably overestimated ftp.

Don't get too hung up on testing every week or anything daft like that and use your power numbers from training to confirm your testing. And remember to zero your power meter manually before every ride or you'll never know if your data is good or junk (the auto zero only works if the zero hasn't changed much since it was previously set).

Top Bottom