FTP Testing, How Often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
The word FTP brings me out in a cold sweat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am too scared to do it more than once every 3 months. So that it pretty much how often I do it. It varies quite a bit over those times, so I should probably do it more often.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
My coach usually plan an easy week before an FTP test including a rest day the day before. He tends to space out the full 20minutes test and prefers to run monthly 5mins tests. I'm not quite sure how he works out the FTP from that though :-/
Usually around 78% of the average power for 5 minutes, or 90% for 8 minutes. But the longer the test, the more reliable the result.

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
It's 90% of the average of 2 x 8min efforts, with 5 (or maybe 10) mins rest in-between.

Well, there's lots of ways you can test your FTP. Essentially any test less than 1 hour is extrapolating off a theroretical power curve.

I think Chris Charmichael was the first advocate of the 2 x 8 minute test. It's worth reading his online article and a couple of Trainer Road blogs of the test differences and why you do the 2 x 8 minutes. The Trainer Road calculation of FTP from the 2 x 8 minutes is actually incorrect (TR takes the average of the two rather than the higher of the two).

FYI, TR have been beta testing a ramp test to calculate training zones from (essentially just another variant of an FTP test) and this is appareltly to be introduced imminently. It'll be interesting to see whether they replace the 2 x 8 minute tests with the ramp test.

Top Bottom