Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone else here into fuel economy, hypermiling, or even modifying cars for economy purposes?

It's something I have become interested in of late. I use the Pension Book Express as little as possible (the best form of fuel conservation), but lately I've been paying more attention to my driving style with a view to improving economy, and ive added 8mpg to my total average.

Out in the workshop I have a Hot Frog engine preheater removed from one of my olde Landies, and I'm thinking of fitting it to the PBE to reduce cold running consumption.

So what, if anything, have you been doing with your car fuel economy wise?

Colin_P

Guru
Yes.

The pulse and glide technique can see huge gains in mpg.

I've not done it myself, but I've watched a few clips of people claiming to adapt the fuel line so vapour, rather than liquid fuel goes into the carb. Some seem way over optimistic in their claims, but all seem to show some improvement, even if it's only marginal.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes but i opted for a 1250 diesel van , i drive to work with fuel economy in mind.
Im lucky that most of my drive is in the sweet zone mph wise.
Plus i can cycle some days.

Be nice if i could do without a van altogether but its not an option yet.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been driving from Boston to Bardney about 3 times a week for 30 years, during that time I have worked out that driving hard it takes 42 minutes, driving with economy upmost it takes 46, the difference in the latter is 20% less fuel used. It always takes 46 minutes nowadays.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And a cleaner burn too. What sort of car is it Jody?

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5111132, member: 9609"]saving fuel is about looking after the enviroment, using LPG can be more harmful in CO2 pollution.[/QUOTE]

I'd think we're all guilty of pollution?
I read it as miser..i changed to a more economic van and steady driving.

I save about 30 quid a month with my new van

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If all else fails - KERS :smile:

Joking aside, my current car came with one of those indicator lights that tell you when the car thinks you could change up (or down) a gear. I assume it bases its decision on speed, manifold pressure, etc.

I found it extremely irritating at first, but I'm warming to it a bit, and it usually seems to get it about right. Reminds me of the good old days when cars had vacuum gauges. I had a flatmate once who retrofitted one of those to his 100E - he was a PITA to drive with, but he got brilliant fuel economy. :angry:

Top Bottom