Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just remove all the carp from the boot, check tyre pressures, go easy with the right foot, set the transmission on Eco if it's a DSG and above all, anticipate. No point in racing off if the lights 100 yards ahead have just turned red.

D

Deleted member 26715

ive added 8mpg to my total average.
Stopped doing red light drag races? Leaving engine running whilst in MaccyD's?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I have been driving from Boston to Bardney about 3 times a week for 30 years, during that time I have worked out that driving hard it takes 42 minutes, driving with economy upmost it takes 46, the difference in the latter is 20% less fuel used. It always takes 46 minutes nowadays.

I rec that's about 240000 miles which is about the same distance as it is to get to the Moon.

One destination is a barren landscape with no discernible lifeforms and the other is the Moon..

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Ages ago I had a basic Peugeot 205 XLD, I used to go camping each year in North Wales and on the A55 there's a long downhill section where I'd turn off the engine and freewheel down in neutral. My son thought it was hilarious when one year we overtook another car on the way down.
Nowadays I just try to anticipate and don't drive fast in any case. I drive a van and I'm amazed at how many people blast their horns at me when overtaking.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've driven fuel-efficiently for years, just generally avoiding braking and hard acceleration, and 'going with the flow' rather than actively thrusting ahead like some half wit Del Boy driver, but recently I've taken it a step further by going into neutral at the top of two long gently sloped sections on my standard coming back from dog walking route, and - except on the rare occasions something intervenes - letting Mr Gravity do the rest.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've driven fuel-efficiently for years, just generally avoiding braking and hard acceleration, and 'going with the flow' rather than actively thrusting ahead like some half wit Del Boy driver, but recently I've taken it a step further by going into neutral at the top of two long gently sloped sections on my standard coming back from dog walking route, and - except on the rare occasions something intervenes - letting Mr Gravity do the rest.
I did that once, a long time ago, and the engine cut out without me noticing. Was interesting to suddenly realise that I'd got no power steering or brake servo assist.......
Note to self - if you're going to do that, keep an eye on the rev counter!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

A mechanic told me that that doesn't save fuel (forgot the logic) and it can be dangerous as you have less control.

D

Deleted member 26715

Very dangerous please do not do this, it's also less fuel efficient you're actually using more fuel than when leaving it in gear, oops as I'm typing @Jody explains why.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A mechanic told me that that doesn't save fuel (forgot the logic) and it can be dangerous as you have less control.
Don't see how it could fail to save fuel - the engine's doing the least possible work. As for control, it's obviously an issue, but the number of situations where rapid acceleration is the safe solution to an incident are vanishingly small - and easily anticipated if you keep your wits about you. The engine cut out/no steering is more of a worry - had that happen to me once coming down a mountain in the back of beyond in America. Managed to sponge out the worst of it...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Very dangerous please do not do this, it's also less fuel efficient you're actually using more fuel than when leaving it in gear, oops as I'm typing @Jody explains why.
I don't understand the explanation. 'onto over run'? 'cut all fuelling'? What does that mean? As for it being dangerous, it isn't. Not where & how I do it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I always try to drive smoothly, and often shift from 2nd to 4th or even 5th on the flat and cruise at low rpm. My wife uses the car 95% of the time and is not very frugal. Her average is 38mpg (mostly cold starts and city driving, and stuck in traffic). I used the car for a few days a while back and the average went up to 39,5 mpg. Base don the fact that the data logged was already on about 3000 miles, I think my savings must have been significant to up the average over just a few miles.

Top Bottom