Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I don't understand the explanation. 'onto over run'? 'cut all fuelling'? What does that mean?
If You are stopped & the engine is running it needs fuel to keep running. Same as coasting downhill.
When you are in gear & the car is pushing the engine along "over run" then the electronics know this & cut all fuel to the engine, so you are using no fuel which is better than above.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5111224, member: 9609"]only when you are wishing to slow down[/QUOTE]
I disagree, coasting downhill uses fuel, overrun uses no fuel,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If You are stopped & the engine is running it needs fuel to keep running. Same as coasting downhill.
When you are in gear & the car is pushing the engine along "over run" then the electronics know this & cut all fuel to the engine, so you are using no fuel which is better than above.
Makes no sense to me. If the electronics literally stopped feeding fuel to the engine, it would cut out. Engines don't run on nothing. They surely need a bare minimum of fuel just to keep turning over, making a noise, that sort of thing. I don't suppose there's much difference really between running in neutral and running in gear, assuming you're not hitting the throttle, but I would have thought neutral would have the edge, since there's no (fuel-wasting) engine-braking going on.

D

Deleted member 26715

Makes no sense to me. If the electronics literally stopped feeding fuel to the engine, it would cut out. Engines don't run on nothing. They surely need a bare minimum of fuel just to keep turning over, making a noise, that sort of thing. I don't suppose there's much difference really between running in neutral and running in gear, assuming you're not hitting the throttle, but I would have thought neutral would have the edge, since there's no (fuel-wasting) engine-braking going on.
Have you ever ridden a fixie? when you went down a hill the bike pushed your feet around, you didn't need put in any effort in fact if anything you were probably slowing the bike down (see @User9609 above) the electronics sense that & cut the fuel, it doesn't stop due to the inertia of the car & flywheel.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you ever ridden a fixie? when you went down a hill the bike pushed your feet around, you didn't need put in any effort in fact if anything you were probably slowing the bike down (see @User9609 above) the electronics sense that & cut the fuel, it doesn't stop due to the inertia of the car & flywheel.
Yeah - I ride a fixie all the time. And to pick up on the analogy, engaging neutral seems to me intuitively equivalent to taking your feet off the pedals and coasting downhill, and I just don't see how you can be more 'fuel-efficient' than that. And I still don't see how you can cut all fuel to the engine without making the engine die. Inertia keeps the car rolling; it doesn't make the engine go 'brrrm!' Anyway, I don't anticipate a meeting of minds on this anytime soon, so I'll take the dog for a drag.

Levo-Lon

Guru
A mechanic told me that that doesn't save fuel (forgot the logic) and it can be dangerous as you have less control.

When a car goes down hill and your using engine brake the fuel is off on injected engines..
Same as removing foot to slow down.
Neutral the engine has to fuel to run as its doing nothing.

You also remove an element of control when coasting in neutral

Jody

Stubborn git
And I still don't see how you can cut all fuel to the engine without making the engine die. Inertia keeps the car rolling; it doesn't make the engine go 'brrrm!' .

If you try and bump start a car and it doesnt fire up does the engine still turn over? Same principal as when you coast. The car through various sensors (ABS, Throttle postition, RPM etc) knows when it is coasting in gear and stops the injectors firing. When you accelerate the car tells the injectors to add fuel and you go brrrm again.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

And to pick up on the analogy, engaging neutral seems to me intuitively equivalent to taking your feet off the pedals and coasting downhill,
Take it one stage further, you take your feet off the pedals, BUT you have to keep your legs & feet turning, at at least a minimum amount which uses energy(fuel)

Besides that coasting down a hill is dangerous, you have less control than when the engine is engaged, not as bad as in the old days, but still not recommended.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The very excellent DSG gearbox fitted in VAG cars will actually freewheel down hills and when braking if you put it in Eco mode.

D

Deleted member 26715

The very excellent DSG gearbox fitted in VAG cars will actually freewheel down hills and when braking if you put it in Eco mode.
But it's still actually still in gear & all that is disconnected is the clutch, that is slightly different, awesome box

Globalti

Legendary Member
My DSG gearbox has saved my poor left knee, which was becoming increasingly wonky and painful with the worsening traffic on my commute. What used to be a 35 minute drive is now routinely 60 to 90 minutes, twice a day. It won't be long before something happens that tips us over into taking that giant step to retirement in Scotland, away from the traffic and the idiots who think the law doesn't apply to them.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5111129, member: 9609"]yep, let her roll, gears are for slowing down or speeding up.. Learn to drive without using your breaks, at any speed above 10mph the breaks should just be for emergencies. But the huge fuel saver is speed, keep it below 50.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much describes my driving style - just generally drive slower, don't accelerate or brake hard, and use the gears to moderate speed. Also turning off the engine when you're stationary, eg at level crossings or stuck in a jam.

I find it baffling the way some people complain about the price of fuel but drive in such a way that seems designed to burn as much of it as possible as quickly as possible. And I always make a point of giving a hard stare to the idiots who sit outside Tesco in the pick-up bay with the engine running while their other half goes in and does the weekly shop. (I did once get into an argument with someone after telling them to turn their engine off while sitting in a car park, but it was too much grief and I think I was lucky not to get thumped.)

Joking aside, my current car came with one of those indicator lights that tell you when the car thinks you could change up (or down) a gear. I assume it bases its decision on speed, manifold pressure, etc.

I thought it was based on revs - at least, this seems to be the case on my car, which will give you the gear change indicator at the same revs regardless of other circumstances - eg if you're going uphill. AIUI it's a rudimentary calculation based on the amount of torque your engine can generate, and the general principle is to encourage you to change up as soon as possible.

If the electronics literally stopped feeding fuel to the engine, it would cut out. Engines don't run on nothing.

QED. If you're coasting downhill, the engine doesn't need to be running at all, so there would be no problem with it cutting itself out. It wouldn't be wise to cut it out manually, of course, but it is quite possible for a modern electronically controlled engine to cut itself out automatically when it isn't needed, starting itself up again as soon as you touch any of the pedals, and I believe that many modern vehicles do indeed work this way - they will also cut out automatically when you're stopped at the lights (I first came across this in a hire car, it was most disconcerting until I worked out what was happening).

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's a question for those who know about this kind of thing: Is cruise control more fuel efficient than normal driving?

I only use cruise control on the motorway, and then only if it's clear ahead, but I'm assuming that's exactly the kind of situation it's designed for. The rest of the time, I use the speed limiter to encourage myself not to go over the limit.

Top Bottom