Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Its neither of those.
“Too” means “as well.”

I’m hung over

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep. 1.2L engines and below should be outlawed on dual carriageways and motorways.

I think my Ferrari crushing V-Max would be upset if that happened.

The slowest cars on sale can all do the national speed limit, most bettering it by 25MPH or more.

It should be Roger Ramjet drivers who get banned, not people driving sensibly and observing the law. After all, a 56 limit has reduced HGV/LGV accidents quite markedly.

In fact, I'd be all for a lower limit and having it enforced with an iron fist.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
i thought all cars could drive at 70?

When I was a student, my girlfriend at the time had a poky little Citroen AX that would seriously struggle to maintain 70 up any kind of gradient.

I did once get stopped for doing 90 in it though - going absolutely flat out downhill on the M62, I was so excited about the fact that I'd got it up to such extreme speeds, I just didn't care about the fact that there was a very conspicuous patrol car at the side of the road. The officer who stopped me was not at all impressed with my explanation for why I was going so fast. Probably just as well he did stop me though, before the car rattled itself to bits.

After all, a 56 limit has reduced HGV/LGV accidents quite markedly.

I well remember the days of de-restricted National Express coaches (& the like) on the M-ways
I also remember when I used to have a Bedford Rascal van, & they'd pass me.........................:headshake::headshake::headshake:
No!, that wasn't my caravan...
Bike carrier, & mobile changing room/cafe

iguugkvfy6r7.jpg

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
When I was a student, my girlfriend at the time had a poky little Citroen AX that would seriously struggle to maintain 70 up any kind of gradient.

I did once get stopped for doing 90 in it though - going absolutely flat out downhill on the M62, I was so excited about the fact that I'd got it up to such extreme speeds, I just didn't care about the fact that there was a very conspicuous patrol car at the side of the road. The officer who stopped me was not at all impressed with my explanation for why I was going so fast. Probably just as well he did stop me though, before the car rattled itself to bits.
...or hit a wayward crisp packet and exploded into a thousand pieces!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I once got stopped at night for doing 30 in a 30 zone, as the bobbies thought it was suspicious. I pointed out that I was hardly likely to speed with a marked 3 litre Senator uo my jacksy, was I?
Funnily enough, I had exactly the same experience on my 750 Norton.
Coming back from Solihull late one night, riding at the 30 speed limit, I got pulled, totally unnecessarily, by a marked Rover P5 that had been tailing me for about a mile. The copper was very sarcastic - "That's a very steady 30 mph you were doing there..... Sir" - so I gave him the same reply as you did.
There was nothing he could do as everything was in order, so I was on my way again.*

*I think he may have recognised me from the time I was chased out of Solihull. I lost them that time and they obviously didn't get my number.

mustang1

Legendary Member
you are away the section from Hangar Lane up to Finchley has average speed cameras now (50mph) ?
Yes I did wonder where the normal cameras have gone. Luckily I'm a slow driver. Many years ago I heard this guy zoomed past a camera at 125mph and didn't realize a new camera was installed there. Allegedly he was slowing down from 150. Shrugs.

mustang1

Legendary Member
yes ECO mode lowers the air con, and throttle response. auto stop/start is switched back on, if the driver had over ruled that in comfort mode. Sat Nav needs "eco mode" to be selected for it to find the route with least amount of traffic, but that can add many miles to a journey
Also reduces assistance to electric steering.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yep. 1.2L engines and below should be outlawed on dual carriageways and motorways.

My 1050 was quite easily doing 120mph on the autobahn, albeit being overtaken by vw polos and the like. Top speed is supposedly 160mph which I can quite believe. Sorry if that is holding you up too much

Top Bottom