Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Worth another post - the ex Bill Ivy Cotton Telstar that I raced in the Isle of Man.
scan00019.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
44.6 out of the last tank on the Pension Book Special. Not bad, considering it is used infrequently and for odd journeys. Going to aim for 50 now.

Engine is in excellent health. Ticks like a Swiss watch, no oil leaks etc. Indeed, last MOT I got the engine nice and hot before taking it in and their (admittedly, fairly crude) gas analyser could not detect any CO2. Of course it's churning CO2 out, but nice to know the engine is in such rude health it's minimising pollution.

gbb

Legendary Member
44.6 out of the last tank on the Pension Book Special. Not bad, considering it is used infrequently and for odd journeys. Going to aim for 50 now.

Engine is in excellent health. Ticks like a Swiss watch, no oil leaks etc. Indeed, last MOT I got the engine nice and hot before taking it in and their (admittedly, fairly crude) gas analyser could not detect any CO2. Of course it's churning CO2 out, but nice to know the engine is in such rude health it's minimising pollution.
What car is that Drago ?
If you'e managing almost 45 mpg now, come summer (or warmer weather specifically) you should easily edge toward 50.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
What car is that Drago ?
If you'e managing almost 45 mpg now, come summer (or warmer weather specifically) you should easily edge toward 50.

It's a mighty powerhouse of a 2006 Ford Fusion 1.4 petrol, Pension Book Special Edition. Once I've made up a lead from my coolant pre-heater I hope to boost the mPG figures a little.

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

That's not really that good, our 2.2 Rav4 has averaged 46.6mpg over the last 20k & that includes 3k of towing the caravan & trailer with a car on it.

Edit:- 2.2 not 2.3

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
That's not really that good, our 2.3 Rav4 has averaged 46.6mpg over the last 20k & that includes 3k of towing the caravan & trailer with a car on it.

I knew they did a 2.2 diesel, but you have got me googling.

gbb

Legendary Member
It' sad when you realise the car you'e brought isn't what you hoped.

I had a 1.6 petrol Astra H sportback. Regularly achieved close to, often just over 50 mpg, even with occasional quick blasts but with common sense style.
I got an Astra J 1.6 petrol, reputedly the same engine, same HP, but what I didn' realise is the J is a whopping 240 kilos heavier and it shows in your (lack of ) economy.
I'm driving it like a saint and currently struggling to get 45 mpg..although in warmer weather I'll achieve 48 with care. Some drivers complain they'e struggling to get 38 :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: although I suspect if they'e town driving and not carefully that may well be true. That said the J feels a lot more refit ed than the H.

I still place something in front of the radiator to prevent the cold winter blast excessively cooling the engine, done that for donkeys years, allows the engine to reach temp sooner as well.

mustang1

Legendary Member

I had a 1.6 petrol Astra H sportback. Regularly achieved close to, often just over 50 mpg, even with occasional quick blasts but with common sense style.
I got an Astra J 1.6 petrol, reputedly the same engine, same HP, but what I didn' realise is the J is a whopping 240 kilos heavier and it shows in your (lack of ) economy.
I'm driving it like a saint and currently struggling to get 45 mpg..although in warmer weather I'll achieve 48 with care. Some drivers complain they'e struggling to get 38 :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: although I suspect if they'e town driving and not carefully that may well be true. That said the J feels a lot more refit ed than the H.

I still place something in front of the radiator to prevent the cold winter blast excessively cooling the engine, done that for donkeys years, allows the engine to reach temp sooner as well.

Some cars close their front air intakes that has the same effect then open up when engine has warmed up.

D

Deleted member 26715

My old man had this year's ago with a Citroën ZX he bought a new one & it was great, 3 years later bought another which just did not perform anywhere near the one before. Slower, didn't pull the caravan as well, worse economy, took it back several times but they wouldn't have it, it was within specification as far as they wereally concerned. He got rid of it after 18 months & boycotted Citroën for 10 years.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not really that good, our 2.2 Rav4 has averaged 46.6mpg over the last 20k & that includes 3k of towing the caravan & trailer with a car on it.

Edit:- 2.2 not 2.3

It's not bad for its era and for being spark ignition - it's actually better than Ford claim for the combined cycle. If were playing a comparison game, our last Toyota was a Pious, and that would laugh at your Rav's dipsomaniacal ways.

Top Bottom