Fuel Misers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
[QUOTE 5111968, member: 9609"]why does slowing down on a hill save fuel ? going at 40 uses a lot less fuel than 70, so why not enter the hill at 40. I really don't understand why you are doing this?

I could quite image a lorry driver would get frustrated with a car that slowed to 40 on a motorway then speeded up as he started to pass.

the haulage industry is very diverse, there are a lot who take fuel efficiency very seriously, and there others where speed is more important, and then there is the current scourge of the industry, the Timed Delivery' 300 mile away and a 20 minute window for delivery or penalties, it don't take much on our stupidly over crowed roads to make people late, this type of work should be outlawed, but it is becoming more and more common[/QUOTE]
I do understand that economic pressures dictate that the haulage industry currently has little choice but to prioritise speed. That was my pinch of salt - they will prioritise efficiency, but only as long as it doesn't significantly impact speed. As a society, we need to change economic structures so this is no longer an over-riding driver.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As a society we need to stop buying so much useless and pointless rubbish, then there wouldn't be so many trucks on then road in the first place.

Tin Pot

Guru
As a society we need to stop buying so much useless and pointless rubbish, then there wouldn't be so many trucks on then road in the first place.

But Amazon is the Future Drago! How can you say such things? :cry:

A constant stream of shoot raining from the sky blimp in drones right into your letterbox/neighbour.

Tin Pot

Guru
0578-4073250-Amazon_plans_to_use_giant_flying_warehouses_to_help_its_drones_m-a-23_1483066530001.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member

gbb

Legendary Member
The speed on hills subject seems to a point that' open to how you word it against what you'e actually doing.

I will approach an incline at whatever speed is appropriate. As the hill now inclines and gravity takes effect I have two choices, keep a steady foot on the throttle and don' accelerate. My consumption will rise a bit and my speed will fall.
Or. Accelerate to maintain speed. This will cause a big leap in fuel consumption..much greater than just holding steady. This is my experience over and over again. One the hill is crested then gently accelerate to regain cruising speed.

My example is a roughly 1 mile incline on the way to work. My cruising average is around 50mpg. If I hold steady and allow my speed to fall, consumption will gradually increase to maybe 35 to 40 mpg (at the same speed)
If I accelerate to maintain speed my consumption will quickly fall to 15 to 25mpg at the most. Its a choice to crest the hill moderately slower but as efficiently as reasonably possible...or crest the hill at the same cruising speed but drastically increase consumption.

It''n not by accident that Clarkson from Top Gear said when driving that car from Scotland to London on a tank of fuel....'absolutely do NOT accelerate on any hill'....he made that point quite specifically...and he will have a bank of experts to advise him.

subaqua

What’s the point
So, does anyone here hyper mile, or at least drive lightly with an eye on their consumption?

Yes . I always try and get the average mpg to go up rather than down ...

Funnily enough towing the camping trailer means driving at 60 on a motorway/dual carriageway and despite extra weight I can get the average into the 50s in a big Volvo ... because it requires more anticipation so no sudden moves ..

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Been out in Mrs D's car today while mine is still not quite fully reassembled. 40.9mpg urban with a brief country road spell, 30 mile round trip, just by driving carefully, accelerating gently and reading the road ahead. My aim is to better that considerably in due course.

Levo-Lon

Guru
So, does anyone here hyper mile, or at least drive lightly with an eye on their consumption?

If I go a distance..say 30 miles plus I nearly always put the mph reader on the dash..not the average one , I mean the one that changes as you drive.
Ie foot off =infinite mpg and giving it a boot full gets you into the low teens or less if you have a big lump up front.

It's good fun trying to get the best mpg and hold it..

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom