Fuel....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A fair few people have criticised Gordon Brown for failing to use a boom to invest for the future, the equivalent of using a fall in interest rates to over pay the mortgage. In what way would this be different?
I've no idea, don't give a shite, I ain't got a mortgage.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
A fair few people have criticised Gordon Brown for failing to use a boom to invest for the future, the equivalent of using a fall in interest rates to over pay the mortgage. In what way would this be different?

In the long term it wouild be an excellent and prudent move but in the short term it would be electoral suicide, so it probably won't happen.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
[QUOTE 3484229, member: 9609"]A mate of mine is an owner driver hauling logs, he is saving £50 a day on diesel and they haven't cut the load price yet, so he is dong well.[/QUOTE]

I suspect many companies that have transport costs built into their prices will do the same. I doubt very much if retail prices for goods will come down because companies will not lower the cost for transportation, but use it to bolster their profits.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Which is why our politicians are, by and large, worse than useless; incapable of looking beyond whatever it is they are currently thinking about, next election, wallet, or dick mostly.

I agree, but so are the majority of the electorate, which is at least partly why the politicians think as they do.

Generally on the posts so far it seems we are really interested in our own fuel costs.

This is very bad from a green perspective in that renewables rely on the relatively expensive price (that their produced energy has to be pegged to) and that high price has made many renewables worthwhile. They have a high start up cost and lower yield so need to have some decent guarantee of return.

That return has now been slashed and so lots of alternative energy projects must be suffering as they are now no longer viable.

But then that, along with giving Putin a kick in the nuts is the reason for the cut.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Correctamundo Over The Hill. Renewables will not be taken seriously until they are at least competitive with what we pay now for oil, gas, leccie, etc. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that........its all about profit and growth these days.

I can't help but be concerned that this will have an effect on the big wind turbine factory Siemens were going to build in my fair city. A desperately needed boost to the local economy and jobs. Wouldn't at all surprise me if there is some back pedalling and it's put on hold.

Top Bottom