Fuel....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
Yeah...it's coming down in price we are nearly back to the £1 per litre fuel....is this really good news? Jaguar making a profit again...the car industry doing well. I can here them all thinking it's time to buy a new car as fuel is cheap and getting cheaper...so that means to you and me more cars on the road, cannot be a good thing? Of course I drive a car but as little as possible and I hate paying lots for my fuel but I would prefer to see an incease in cyclists/cycling and an improvement in cycle routes (especially city centres such as Bristol...you should be ashamed sustrans!) rather than more cars and more pollution...there we are rant over ^_^^_^

Brandane

Legendary Member
From a very selfish POV, it's a good thing. I commute by car, don't have a fixed place of work, work unpredictable hours at short notice, etc.. The fuel costs can eat a significant chunk out of the take home pay, so cheaper petrol means more money in my pocket.
For me, more expensive fuel doesn't mean less car use (unless of course it reaches the point where working doesn't make financial sense). Expensive fuel just means cutting corners elsewhere.

From a very selfish POV, it's a bad thing. The company I work for will be laying off people next week. I may be one of them, but hopefully not. When oil the oil price drops makes some oilfields uneconomic, so they stop production and cut budgets. In turn it effects those employed in supplier industries. Me.

hoopdriver

Guru
I do not own a car or drive but my wife has quite a long commute to work. We are saving £20 a week in fuel costs and we do not earn a fortune either. This is a drive that would be made anyway. Doing it cheaply can only be a better thing.

Last edited:

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
From a very selfish POV, it's a bad thing. The company I work for will be laying off people next week. I may be one of them, but hopefully not. When oil the oil price drops makes some oilfields uneconomic, so they stop production and cut budgets. In turn it effects those employed in supplier industries. Me.
....another oil n gas worker here. I giggle with glee when the cars get fuelled up, but I have an uneasy feeling they may send me back to Blighty low prices continue for over a year.

TVC

Some analysts are saying the price may stay at this kind of level for the next three years. For several years the major oil producing countries have held back on supply to drive the price up, now they have decided to flood the market dropping the price massively. Do you get the feeling certain Governments and Billionaires are playing with the global economy. What everyone wants, consumers, industry planners and oil workers is stability and predictability, that allows proper planning.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Feck it, I'm getting a Hummer.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Perhaps internal combustion engines finally have some competition from alternatives and oil demand is down.

Ok I know this isn't true, yet

but demand is down so who knows this could be the perfect storm for oil to begin the process of becoming a secondary fuel.

One thing is for sure, these prices won't last for long, so don't go buying that 6 litre motor just yet.

Drago

Legendary Member
It matters little to me, as vegetable oil is now less than 40p a litre when bought in bulk. On the plus side retail prices might come down along with the cost of transport and production overheads, though I'm not banking on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
In terms of cost per unit of electricty generated renewables on any great scale were already expensive. The lower fuel price elevates them from expensive to extortionate.

Top Bottom