Fuerteventura cycle helmet laws, are there any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A bit last minute as we are due to depart imminently....

A family holiday in the Canary Islands with the option to rent bikes for heading into the hills. Just occurred to me while packing the last few bits and pieces that helmets might be a legal requirement. We are staying in Corralejo in the north of Fuerteventura. Does anyone know what the rules are and if they are even remotely enforced?

I don't want a helmet discussion, this isn't that kind of thread! I don't normally wear one and would prefer not to while on holiday if anyone has accurate, up-to-date information.

Cheers :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think there is some law about helmet wearing in Spain?
Either way you might want to check the terms of your travel insurance just in case

alicat

Legendary Member
The Canary Isles are part of Spain. As I understand it (and I am just going off a google search in Spanish), cyclists under 16 have to wear one all the time. Everyone else has to wear one outside towns. As to what extent it gets enforced, I have no idea.

They have a rule where you must wear a helmet on rural roads, except in extreme heat or unless you're going uphill. How you get the helmet to the top of the hill sounds like Someone Else's Problem.

Have spent a few weeks cycling in Spain without a lid and aside from a couple of mountain bikers gesticulating at me and shouting "casco!" and me replying "caliente!" no-one ever pulled me up on it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't imagine Spanish Police can be bothered to stop cyclists, same as British Police can't be bothered stopping any motorist unless the ANPR flashes them up as an easy addition to the statistics.

gasinayr

Über Member
We are going to Corralejo in May, I have been looking at the cycle hire web sites. contact them for advise and if they hire helmets
Hope the weather picks up for you, blowing a hooly for the next few days.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whenever I’ve hired a bike anywhere in the world, I’ve been provided with a helmet FOC (including Cambodia, Myanmar, Guatemala :okay:)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can't imagine Spanish Police can be bothered to stop cyclists, same as British Police can't be bothered stopping any motorist unless the ANPR flashes them up as an easy addition to the statistics.

When we did a Spanish tour, of course I went sans plastic hat. Passed a good few cops, some even giving a cheery greeting and they weren't bothered in the slightest I wasn't wearing one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I reccon the hire places would have some to hire, if needed.
Would people really trust all previous hirers not to have damaged it and avoided reporting it to keep their deposit?

Would people hope that the negative effects which seem to counterbalance the protective effect in real world use don't apply if you don't trust it anyway?

Top Bottom