Fuji Allegro (huge frame)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I could run through that frame and not bang my head!

Looks like a 1986 model Allegro.
http://mondoblahblah.blogspot.com/2021/07/forward-into-past.html

View attachment 696690

Thanks for the link . Reading the list of components it does seem identical to mine, including he says originally it had aero brake levers as has mine. It's hard to imagine this being a 1998 model I found the explanation for decoding the frame numbers I found online somewhat confusing I will have to have another try . I agree with his comments that on the face of it it looks a cheapy , but closer inspection reveals a pleasantly suprising quality machine.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Blimey! If I tried to ride that I'd need a step ladder to get on and off it and my feet wouldn't reach the pedals, nice looking bike though.

That was my thoughts also.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a 37.5 inch inside leg , not sure if that is normal ratio against my total height

That is defo on the leggy side, your IL is exactly half your height. Ideal if you want to be a super model.....

average height / IL is in the 2.15 to 2.3 range, but then that is just an average....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't really have any proper knowledge in this area so probably wrong - but hadn't stem mounted shifters and "suicide" brake levers gone away by the late 90s? Weren't they more 70s-80s?

Which is a roundabout way of saying I agree with your guess of '80s

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
That is defo on the leggy side, your IL is exactly half your height. Ideal if you want to be a super model.....

average height / IL is in the 2.15 to 2.3 range, but then that is just an average....

Never really looked into it but always felt out of proportion leg length wise but it can cause bike fit problems, some big bikes that fit leg wise can be too long a reach and putting a shorter stem/bars just makes them twitchy because there is not enough weight on the front.
Not measured the top tube length of the Fuji but it's not twitchy.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I don't really have any proper knowledge in this area so probably wrong - but hadn't stem mounted shifters and "suicide" brake levers gone away by the late 90s? Weren't they more 70s-80s?

Which is a roundabout way of saying I agree with your guess of '80s

Yes I'd say it has the look of 80s/ early 90s .One of the earlier post above has an identical bike dated 1986 .

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Never really looked into it but always felt out of proportion leg length wise but it can cause bike fit problems, some big bikes that fit leg wise can be too long a reach and putting a shorter stem/bars just makes them twitchy because there is not enough weight on the front.
Not measured the top tube length of the Fuji but it's not twitchy.

For such a large frame your Fuji does look to have quite a short top tube, kind of ‘made to measure’ for you👍

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
For such a large frame your Fuji does look to have quite a short top tube, kind of ‘made to measure’ for you👍

Indeed, if it was proportionally as long as tall I wouldn't be able to ride it either. It's the sort of dream fit frame I've always wanted but could never find, I have wondered about getting a custom built frame but couldn't justify the expense, so a very very lucky find .

Top Bottom