Fulcrum Racing freehub service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
It's been a tough winter so I thought I'd better service the freehub. I thought I was doing okay until I got down to the bearings and was surprised to find sealed units. I was expecting just to clean and regrease from where I am but now I'm not sure exactly how to get these sealed cartridges out and replaced. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20180413_194825.jpg
    20180413_194825.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180413_194819.jpg
    20180413_194819.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180413_194739.jpg
    20180413_194739.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180413_194644.jpg
    20180413_194644.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180413_194635.jpg
    20180413_194635.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 78

iluvmybike

Über Member
You need to drift them out and then press new bearings in. There are tech docs on Fulcrums site to show you. The freehub body should just pull off - be careful of pawls, springs & spacers

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I found the manufacturers technical manual on their site, it looks a bit more complex than I first imagined. I think I'll get away with regreasing which is fine for the non drive side but im still a bit unsure how to do the drive side. Do i just keep digging until the bearing are exposed on that side?

iluvmybike

Über Member
If you find the right manual for your model & year of the hub then just follow all the steps. Once you have removed the freehub body you will have access to the drive side bearing. There are also bearings in the freehub body itself which may need replacing. There is a spacer in between the inner & outer beairng - you can move this to one side a littleso you can tap the uter bearing out. Once out there is a circlip in there holding the inner freehub bearing in so don't go trying to knock them out til you have removed it

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I managed to knock both bearings out with just a punch, I also got the new ones in the same way. Happy days.

Confident from this success I thought I'd give the Cannondale the same treatment and was delighted to see that it was just a case of clean and regrease this time. My new problem now is the wheel is not spinning as freely as it should. Any ideas?

gbb

Legendary Member
I managed to knock both bearings out with just a punch, I also got the new ones in the same way. Happy days.

Confident from this success I thought I'd give the Cannondale the same treatment and was delighted to see that it was just a case of clean and regrease this time. My new problem now is the wheel is not spinning as freely as it should. Any ideas?
As long as it' smooth it'll just be the new bearings and grease creating a bit more friction. With use it will ease. I found this too, the extra drag was noticeable.
If they feel notchy or 'knock as they turn...you may have damaged the races, it' easily done sadly.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
As long as it' smooth it'll just be the new bearings and grease creating a bit more friction. With use it will ease. I found this too, the extra drag was noticeable.
If they feel notchy or 'knock as they turn...you may have damaged the races, it' easily done sadly.
Thanks for that, I never realised that. I thought maybe I had over tightened something but there's nothing knocking so I don't think I've damaged anything.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom