Fulcrum Racing Sport DB Front Wheel Bearing Replacement Procedure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
Today I went to have a look at the bearings in the front hub Fulcrum Racing Sport DB on my Planet X RTD-80, and I can't figure out how to disassemble the hub to get to the bearings.

Does anyone know of a technical document or video explaining this?

On the Fulcrum Wheels website, there are tech docs with front hub procedures, but none of them are for this particular model, and as far as I can tell the procedure seems different to what I am looking at.

Thanks
Mark

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like they are cartridge bearings not cup and cone

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=108792

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes I meant get to the cartridges.

I did already read that article but it didn't help me.

Thanks

On my fixed which has wheels with cartridge bearings I just take the two nuts off and then use the back of a stanley knife blade to ease the seal off then regrease and reassemble.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
The inside of the axle seems round and doesn't seem to have any allen key fitment.

Anyway, I think I am OK for now. All videos I found (e.g. GCN) said "if you have play in your front wheel, then your bearings need replacement".

But then I found this https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/bike-fit-and-maintenance/adjust-bearings-fulcrum-wheels

I wish I'd known this a few weeks ago when I first noticed the play. I've done it now and the play is gone.

The bearings are still shot (they've had several thousand miles), but I will put off replacing them until another time.

If anyone has these wheels and has replaced the front bearings, I'd still be keen to know the procedure.

Thanks
Mark

D

Deleted member 1258

The inside of the axle seems round and doesn't seem to have any allen key fitment.

Anyway, I think I am OK for now. All videos I found (e.g. GCN) said "if you have play in your front wheel, then your bearings need replacement".

But then I found this https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/bike-fit-and-maintenance/adjust-bearings-fulcrum-wheels

I wish I'd known this a few weeks ago when I first noticed the play. I've done it now and the play is gone.

The bearings are still shot (they've had several thousand miles), but I will put off replacing them until another time.

If anyone has these wheels and has replaced the front bearings, I'd still be keen to know the procedure.

Thanks
Mark

That video's a good find, well done. I've not seen that setup before, it looks a good system that could prolong the bearing life, I've had it before where the bearings are still spinning smooth but there's free play in the them and I've had to replace them.

bigalp

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, Like you I have been scouring the internet to work out how to remove the front axle of a fulcrum racing 77 which I believe is the same as the racing sport DB. The answer I have just discovered is that the ends of the axle just pull off!! This leaves the allen key bracket free to twist off one end, and then you can tap the axle through from this side to remove from the opposite side. Both sides then have a thin metal cap that covers the bearings underneath. just ease off with small screwdriver etc. My bearing says 61903 2RS which I believe is the same as the 6903 2RS You will need a bearing press to properly fit them back :smile:

Alan

zheka

Hi Mark, Like you I have been scouring the internet to work out how to remove the front axle of a fulcrum racing 77 which I believe is the same as the racing sport DB. The answer I have just discovered is that the ends of the axle just pull off!! This leaves the allen key bracket free to twist off one end, and then you can tap the axle through from this side to remove from the opposite side. Both sides then have a thin metal cap that covers the bearings underneath. just ease off with small screwdriver etc. My bearing says 61903 2RS which I believe is the same as the 6903 2RS You will need a bearing press to properly fit them back :smile:

Alan

I'm trying to remove the axle on fulcrum racing cx db and just came across this. Removing the ends of the axle sounds like what I need to do in order to get the pre-load ring off. However, I tried pulling on the ends with pliers but they did not come off. How hard was it to remove them for you?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Sometimes you need to put the end into a vice (soft jaws) and then pull up on the wheel to remove them - using the wheel gives way more leverage than pliers. Then you will need to whack the axle out with a rubber/plastic hammer - can take several hefty whacks

Red2020

Hey Mark,

Did you ever figure out how to remove the axle. I'm sitting here looking at it wondering what I'm doing wrong. Tried pliers. Is it a case that I need to give it a bigger bash or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

iluvmybike

Über Member
After removing end caps yes you need to give it a good clonk woth a plastic or rubber mallet - do NOT use a metal hammer of any kind - just make sure you do it from the correct side - the manuals for all of these are on the fulcrum website. It helps if you have an axle stand of some sortso you can support the wheel and give it a hefty whack or two. They can be quite corroded in

Top Bottom