Fulcrum vs Mavic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I have the choice between Fulcrum Racing 3s or Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheels.

I know Fulcrum wheels, find them indestructible, have had two sets of Racing 7s and one set of Racing 44s. My inclination is get the Racing 3s.

However, Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs get good write-ups, are tubeless and come recommended by my LBS as the replacements to have.

I need help here with some subjective reviews please!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the choice between Fulcrum Racing 3s or Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheels.

I know Fulcrum wheels, find them indestructible, have had two sets of Racing 7s and one set of Racing 44s. My inclination is get the Racing 3s.

However, Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs get good write-ups, are tubeless and come recommended by my LBS as the replacements to have.

I need help here with some subjective reviews please!
Subjective...or objective? Sounds like you already have the subjective ;)

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Subjective...or objective? Sounds like you already have the subjective ;)

Objectively the Mavics win - reviews are top notch, LBS recommends them over Fulcrum freehubs which have a tendency to fall apart. Subjectively i'm a Fulcrum man! ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Can’t mavic spokes be hard to acquire? Possibly Fulcrums too. Nice pair of hahdbuilts?
Objectively the Mavics win - reviews are top notch, LBS recommends them over Fulcrum freehubs which have a tendency to fall apart. Subjectively i'm a Fulcrum man! ;)

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Can’t mavic spokes be hard to acquire? Possibly Fulcrums too. Nice pair of hahdbuilts?

Not sure, but was being told of a horror story of £30 for two spokes for Fulcrums by the LBS whereas their Mavic stockist was decent.

In the end i've decided on the Mavics, see what like. I've been given a free pass by the insurance money for the wipeout 2 weeks ago so the LBS is handling the purchasing.

mangid

Guru
Mavic here. The Mavic Ellipse on my main commuter (fixed gear) has done 46K maintenance free. Still the same sealed bearings, commuting in all weathers.

I recently got a Mavic Kysrium Pro for the front, after wearing the braking surface away on the Ellipse. I had to send that back as there was signs of the spokes pulling thru. Mavic it rebuilt it with a new rim no quibble, and it's been performing well since (5K since the end of April). I particularly like the Exalith braking surface which performs and doesn't seem to wear much at all (although the pads are eye-wateringly expensive)

vickster

Legendary Member
Since when where Mavic spokes hard to acquire? Not that i have ever broken one.
Hence the question mark, I have recollection of only being able to source spokes in bulk and then from few suppliers

iluvmybike

Über Member
The Mavics use the UST tubeless system so you can only really use UST tyres on them - which limits your choice

Top Bottom