Fundraising Tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering signing up for this, sounds like good fun and raises money for Marie Curie Cancer Care:

http://charityadventure.org.uk/CharityAdventureApp/amsterdame2008.aspx

The only thing I am a bit concerned about is the fundraising (that is apart from my legs falling off)...How on earth do I raise £500? I know most charity rides have an even higher amount, but I have never done one before (or any other sponsored event that required you to raise anything more than 20 quid), and really can't think of how to do it...I don't think I know enough people and most of my friends haven't exactly got loads of spare cash, and even if I get people at work to sponsor me, I'm probably going to get a pound at at time of about 20 people. Obviously nowhere near enough...

So, has anybody got any tips? Do I write to local businesses? Do bike shops sponsor such events? Where/how do I start?

Don't want to put my name down, only to then realise I can't get the money together...

Any help appreciated!!!

start a justgiving page... email the link to people you know. if you're on facebook/myspace etc, send the link to everyone there. ask friends to circulate the details as well - chances are someone will have a personal interest in the charity.

contact the local press (it helps to have a human interest angle). try and get some pre-event story. this can be the tricky one and a bit of a catch 22. it helps to have someone (business, etc) backing you to get the story, but you'll need publicity to get the backing.

have you got a local Marie Curie shop? this could be a place to put ip notices, etc. might be good for the photo shoot for the paper too.

put up notices in local shops if possible. bike shops would be good. also a work notice board.

advertise on every cycling forum you are signed up for.

good luck
L

gbb

Legendary Member
We did this as a team two years ago. Cajoled a few to join in, and we asked the staff to donate/ sponsor us as a team.
Sponsoring everyone indiviually is difficult, personalities come into play.
Everyone will like SOMEONE on the team...so are more likey to donate.

Plus of course the indiviuals can get sponsored by friends and family. Coupled with the works interest, it put less pressure on them to raise unrealistic amounts.

We did the 45 mile Rockingham Ride, i think we raised about £300. (christ, my memories bad....:biggrin: )

gbb

Legendary Member
Punky, i wouldnt worry how much or little you can raise...every little helps. For every large donation, theres plenty of small ones. They all matter.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Thanks, feeling slightly less panicky about it now...although it still seems a huge amount, but yes, the local MC shop might be a good starting point and there is already a just giving website set up for it...

PP, one thing you could try - for local publicity - is to cycle between two local MC shops, preferably with a MC collecting tin strapped to your handlebars. say you're in training for the event and are building up the mileage. you need to look like like an 'ordinary' cyclist and not a seasoned enthusiast.

good luck!
L

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
laurence said:
PP, one thing you could try - for local publicity - is to cycle between two local MC shops, preferably with a MC collecting tin strapped to your handlebars. say you're in training for the event and are building up the mileage. you need to look like like an 'ordinary' cyclist and not a seasoned enthusiast.
good luck!
L

Lol, don't think I'm going to struggle looking ordinary - I get way too sweaty and out of breath to look seasoned!!!! But that's not a bad idea at all!!!

ok PP... here's some more tips...

if you sign up you'll get support from MC, but see what else they can supply, such as collecting tins - these are a good visible item to remind people of the charity and what you're doing. they might also have posters, etc. try and get a t-shirt so if you do have any photo calls on the bike you can wear it. get a picture of you in it on the bike for your own posters and the justgiving page.

think of other places that you can raise money - hold other events at.

Work
always a good place. you can have a swear box on your desk and colleagues can be fined. you can be the tea boy for a day for a price. if you're good at making cakes, you can take one in and sell slices. keep a collection tin/box on your desk and try to get colleagues to throw in their loose change.

home
if you're going to have a party then charge a quid to get in. maybe have a barbecue or a tea party and charge - people will pay if it's for charity and it'll get them interested in the idea of what you're doing. keep a box for loose change - it all adds up.

if you're a regular at a pub/cafe then try and get them to help. maybe hold a raffle (a good one for a work party too).

get some posters printed for work and cafes/pubs (and college if this applies).

it's coming up to xmas too - do you really need silly presents - you could ask relatives and friends to donate to the cause. same for birthday presents.

that should do it for now.

L
PS: if there's any charities reading this that need a fundraiser, i am available

U

User482

I raised money for MacMillan on my recent LEJOG - I set up a Justgiving page, and raised £800 with just asking friends, family & work colleagues. I guess for more serious amounts of cash you would need to approach the press etc, but I think £500 should be fine.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Thanks everybody, some really good ideas there, although I have just realised that what I thought was the local mc shop is actually an imperial cancer shop, oops!

Part of the problem with doing stuff at work, apart from people just signing the sponsorship form, is that we have 2 designated charity, that all proceeds such as cake sales, etc go to (not that they ever seem to raise more than £10 on a good day :biggrin:), so I don't think I would be able to do that, but I will get in touch with Marie Curie and see if they can supply me with a collecting tin/t-shirt etc, that would probably really help and make it look more official.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Again don't forget the press - our local rag nearly always has a fundraising story, but it is often linked to family circumstances. They will want to take your picture with the bike

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Dayvo said:
I'll sponsor you £25.00, PP! :biggrin:

Aww, thanks, that's fabulous!!!! :smile: I will make sure to remind you nearer the time! :biggrin:

Have been emailing the guys organising it and just confirming the last few details, but it looks like I'm going to sign up, so exited!!!! :biggrin: Will have to post another thread on training tips...with the amount I currently manage to get on the bike I probably won't even make it to the outskirts of york before I collapse!!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom