Funny but sad. The sad world of today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I started working at a city farm in Stuttgart I was rather surprised that there was a large area known as a "Hut village" where kids could build a hut with nails, saws, hammers et c provided and some minimal supervision. Around the village was a "City wall": an (officially) 2m high catwalk with no railing, but with plenty of loose planks, trip hazards, gaps, wobbly bits, corners, et c, largely maintained by the kids themselves (with assistance) and running over the bare earth of the ground. In the eight months I was there one child fell off the wall.

We also had knife making (with a forge) a bonfire, a workshop which I was generally in charge of where we did wood and metal work, feeding, cleaning after animals, and regular trips to the field with kids on the tractor and trailer.

the ethos of the farm was that kids needed an environment of "managed risk". The insurance policy must have been unique...

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Andy in Germany, post: 6861597, member: 46818"
the ethos of the farm was that kids needed an environment of "managed risk". The insurance policy must have been unique...
[/QUOTE]
Good job it was managed. When I was a kid I used to make 'bombs' in my friends garage using old motorcycle and bike frames with homemade gunpowder. :wacko:

Top Bottom