Funny but sad. The sad world of today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
McD's served their coffee scaldingly, undrinkably hot

I always found this one odd. In order to make coffee the water has to be between 90-95 degrees C. Obviously you can't drink it at that temperature, so you have to sit looking at it for 10 minutes or so. You would have thought that someone ordering a drink which has to be made with *very* hot water, would know that therefore the water would be *very* hot, and that they should be very careful with it.

I don't drink tea or coffee, but I have never observed anyone who has ordered the same, drinking the drink immediately. They all seem to know that it will be too hot.

It's worth saying that many of the warnings that are put on things are not because people are stupid, but because it protects the company from litigation. Hence on nuts - "this bag contains nuts".

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I always found this one odd. In order to make coffee the water has to be between 90-95 degrees C. Obviously you can't drink it at that temperature, so you have to sit looking at it for 10 minutes or so. You would have thought that someone ordering a drink which has to be made with *very* hot water, would know that therefore the water would be *very* hot, and that they should be very careful with it.

I don't drink tea or coffee, but I have never observed anyone who has ordered the same, drinking the drink immediately. They all seem to know that it will be too hot.

It's worth saying that many of the warnings that are put on things are not because people are stupid, but because it protects the company from litigation. Hence on nuts - "this bag contains nuts".

McD's had a policy, specified in their manuals, of serving their coffee 20-30°F (yes I know, but I can't be arsed to convert) hotter than other comparable restaurants - hot enough to cause severe burns in a couple of seconds. Their own quality assurance manager testified that McD’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. There's no need to serve coffee that hot, especially in a context where they know many people are buying for immediate consumption (drive-through takeaway), and where there is an obviously significant risk of spillage (people seated in cars). She was a passenger in a parked car when she spilled the drink - having a takeaway coffee in a staionary car is not reckless or unusual behaviour. The fact is that McD's were aware of the extent of the risk of serious injury, but customers were not. I expect we all know that we might cause ourselves an ouchy moment if we are careless with a hot drink, but are probably not expecting it to disable and almost kill us. McD's simply calculated that a hundreds of inevitable serious injuries didn't matter in the context of the scale of their operation. Sorry to bang on about the case, but it's totemic. An ordinary person who suffered serious harm wins an important victory against corporate negligence, and yet it enters the popular imagination as the archetype of frivolous litigation by the snowflake generation.

mustang1

Guru
Monkey don't see, monket don't do: Kids used to observe things their parents did, like cooking or fixing things. Less of that goes on now so there are fewer opportunities to learn. Also they are less interested because they have xboxes and tiktok. In my Dad's day (50's) he built his first bike from scrapyard parts. Well we're not even allowed to take anything from a scrapyard any more. In fact, my local one won't accept metal any more, and never accepted "bike parts" (I had to cut some things up and disguide them as "parts off a bed frame").

Also the "why wait" mentality: why bother fixing something or waiting 4 days for parts when mum and/or dad can buy a new one becasue they have more disposable income? No learing there either.

I do blame social media a lot for most of the un-streetwise kids. They see so-called influencers and millionaire Youtubers who destroy cars for fun etc. There is no real knowledge or teaching involved in a lot of the virtual world. It's all about likes and materialism. Some kids, of course, are into lego or electronics or dinosaurs, but I think they are a vast minority if we look at percentages compared to 20 years ago. So we are raising fewer kids who are or would like to be practical, and more kids who might be very bright but don't know how to apply it in the real world

There are a number of "how to fix this stuff" kind of youtube channels but since that requires time and effort to fix, so you are right, people just buy something new instead.
I was thinking of building a PC like I used to "back in the day" but I'm not really sure I can be bothered. I suppose if my life wasnt busy with many other things then I'd take the time to build it, alas, life has moved on.

Surely the fact that there are how to do channels on YouTube proves that people do repair things.
Even the actor who plays Superman is on YouTube building his own pc.

It doesn't take a lot of time compared to most hobbies. Even I built my own Zwift pc up for the garage and I'm pretty incompetent.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

A bit like Winnebago who were sued by somebody who set the cruise control and then went back to make coffee. There was no warning that you actually had to stay behind the wheel and steer.:wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
Even changing a battery is almost impossible due to the other bits you have to remove just to access it and the whole system needs a reset which can’t be done at home.
Ive a clone of the dealer computer, so can do anyrhing they can. Problem is, as I get older im less inclined to get the spanners out myself, but even being able to do a proper diagnosis saves half hor to an hours labou at the dealer, so use it twice and it pays for itself.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, there’s another illusion shattered - it’s a wonder I’m still sane :-)
Im allergic to tree nuts and have carry industrial grade antihistamine tablets wherever I go - one of the advantages of being an enormous great fatty a ripped zeus like fellow is that it takes time for the hormonal chemical reaction to get through me, so I get sufficient warning to be able to take tabs and can eschew an epipen. Unlike the petit 13 year old lass over the road who, who succumned very badly one evening 5 or 6 years ago (I unsuccessfully tried CPR, and my failure haunts me to this day even though the intellectual part of me knows I could have done no more).

As aforementioned, peanuts are legumes and i can stuff my face with them until the cows come home. Folk are usually allergic to one or the other, very rarely both, as the protein molecules that cause the mischief are quite different.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Issues over Epipen would have me carrying more than one :-(

Regards CPR, don't beat yourself up - there is no 'unsuccessful CPR', you just keep moving the oxygenated blood to the brain for as long as you can. Without a defibrillator you've only a 1 in 20 chance of 'kick starting' the casualty. The best you can do is keep 'banging and blowing' until one shows up, or until you can't do any more. That's a 1 in 20 chance she didn't have before you turned up.

Managed the 1 in 20 myself and also failed with a defib present, so as always, YMMV.

Top Bottom