Funny but sad. The sad world of today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I remember climbing five or six cars up in the scrap yard for alternator etc. Sadly no longer a thing. Happy days.
@Drago will be along soon claiming he took gearboxes out while the car was going in the crusher .:laugh:.

Lightening the mood. I like this advice on some of my South African wines

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Well those folks do like to sue people for the smallest reasons :laugh::laugh:
Not really. The woman who won the lawsuit against McDonalds was 79 years old and suffered third-degree burns to her legs and genitals, which nearly killed her and required extensive surgery, because McD's served their coffee scaldingly, undrinkably hot (despite being aware that this was dangerous because 700-odd people had been scalded by it before). McD's spent a fortune on disinformation - all she had wanted was for them to pay for the medical bills arising from the injuries caused by their product.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not really. The woman who won the lawsuit against McDonalds was 79 years old and suffered third-degree burns to her legs and genitals, which nearly killed her and required extensive surgery, because McD's served their coffee scaldingly, undrinkably hot (despite being aware that this was dangerous because 700-odd people had been scalded by it before). McD's spent a fortune on disinformation - all she had wanted was for them to pay for the medical bills arising from the injuries caused by their product.

thats just one separate case. Americans do actually like to sue each other for silly reasons.

Even these days, On a 50 mile motorway trip you nearly always see someone broken down, so not 100% convinced

Admittedly cars break down less, but on the other hand, if they do break down, you're going home on the back of a lorry. Back in the day, you could nearly always fix it yourself, or at least bodge it up enough to continue.
You're forgetting just how much traffic levels have increased though. Broken down cars are definitely rarer now.

I needed to change the battery on ky ex-mrs' Landrover. Bought a new battery and fetch it home, opened the bonnet -where the f is the battery? After much head scratching and actually searching the vehicle I surmised it could only be under the passenger seat, as there was nowhere else it could possibly be hidden, and indeed it was!
Quicker to Google for the location..

Domus

Guru
In a café a while back I spied what I thought was Coffee and Walnut Cake. However I was reliably informed by the woman behind the counter It was just Coffee Cake as they were not allowed to put walnuts in anymore due to nut allergies. :stop:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
thats just one separate case. Americans do actually like to sue each other for silly reasons.
That may be true, but as warnings on hot liquids were mentioned, and the case I cited has attained mythical status amongst those who think that the requirement not to maim customers or workers is gawn elf and safety maaaaaaaaaaad, I thought it as well to mention it. Anyway it's not only Americans who sue one another for silly reasons. The US had to pass a special law to stop libel tourists using English courts to persecute their citizens under our ridiculous libel laws.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Quicker to Google for the location..

Google didn't exist I don't think but in any case I could have looked in the manual but that's crazy talk.

"there are two types of people in this world. There are those who only look in the manual as a last resort. And there are those who don't"

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That may be true, but as warnings on hot liquids were mentioned, and the case I cited has attained mythical status amongst those who think that the requirement not to maim customers or workers is gawn elf and safety maaaaaaaaaaad, I thought it as well to mention it. Anyway it's not only Americans who sue one another for silly reasons. The US had to pass a special law to stop libel tourists using English courts to persecute their citizens under our ridiculous libel laws.

Whilst British libel laws probably go a bit too far, and protect the guilty rich and powerful, yet do rather less to help the ordinary person falsely accused, in America a rich businessman can use his media presence to broadcast across the world and baselessly accuse someone of being a pedophile with impunity it seems - that doesn't seem right either

Top Bottom