Funny experiences while cycling? Or a near miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
My idea has come across totally wrong on here and I regret it now because the last thing I want to do is insult cyclists.
I read between the lines of your first post, thought to myself "I bet people will fly off the handle reading that", and then made my reply as I could see you were basically asking for anecdotes and incidents that were what we thought of as "our cycling". I'm sure we all have horror stories as well as good stories, and for me, they both make up what I consider as "my cycling".

I think you have inadvertently struck gold in the way of responses. Those who interpreted your first post as mocking their dangerous experiences clearly felt very passionately about them. I do as well. Anyone who's ridden a bike for long enough will have one and it's something that can provide cyclists with solace amongst their peers - they're in the same boat. You can see by the number of replies and the candour of their tone that they are sore from the aggression and derision. It's an easy nest to stir up and you should write about this. Dig around and find out why it's such a sore point, what could make it better.

I do not drive a car but my understanding of drivers is that they also get cut up and experience others' bad driving, but it's not something that affects them in the way it does with cycling because of the danger element that the latter is subject to. I may be wrong here - most users on this forum are also drivers, and they may correct me. There's a camaraderie to be had amongst those who have suffered.

We also have positive experiences, and I prefer to consider my cycling to be positive. I'm naturally fit, strong and healthy as a result of cycling. I stopped to watch a goldfinch the other day after he flew past me. He landed in the hedge and with me stationary on my bike we watched one another. A very grounding, natural feeling to it. He probably thought I was mad, with my silly hat and strange wheels. If I had drove past, we'd both have lost out. I love to see the wildflowers growing on the verges. I came across a fellow cyclist, half-way up a hill, examining what she explained was "borage", a herb I'd never heard of. She told me it's good for the bees, that's why she likes it. I asked my Mum if she'd heard of borage and she said "oh yes, it's good for the bees!". If I'd have drove past, we'd all have lost out. Little things like this happen all the time. It is like seasoning scattered across my life.

I wave at strangers, say "Hello!". We're not really strangers, we share something in common, so it's normal to be genial to one another. We stop if we see another by the wayside, just in case they need help. The grizzled tourer with his rider doesn't need help, he was probably fixing bikes before I was on them, but granddad with his grand-daughter do - her pink Barbie scooter suffered a loose screw and I had a tool to help. She looked wide-eyed at my panniers and said they look too heavy to ride on my bike. "It's alright" I said with a twinkle in my eye "my legs are magic!". I rang my loud ding-dong bell as I left and they waved back. I remember them, and they'll remember me. If I had drove past, we'd have all lost out.

The seasoning you get on your every-day life is what makes cycling precious. The dangerous episodes - the time I was dragged down the sides of three parked cars by a caravan - they're something I never forget, but I'm not on the bike for those. I'm on it for the borage and the Barbie scooters, the goldfinches and the strong heart.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
@Saammblack, for your own sake, please don't do this. You appear to have no idea about the passions, volatility and readiness to respond, often in quite personal fashion, that certain elements of the pro and anti cycling lobby possess. You don't come across as anywhere near experienced enough of bikes and cycling to present a balanced, factual, nuanced argument, nor having done even basic research into the likely response (google local/national media stories on cycling and read the comments sections) get on twitter (@cyclehatred if still going - I block these sorts as the comments depress me) and see some of the to & fro. Hostility and misinformation and just plain prejudice abound on both sides.

Which will be why she's come to a cycling forum and has asked. People who don't cycle can't be expected to understand what it's like. There's such an overwhelming number of posts, subjects and threads on this forum that it looks like an insurmountable task to process.

So someone has now appeared and asked (albeit without the grace that some demand) and now you're telling her to go away? That's not very constructive and you've said that there's nuance and balance needed, then suggested the local media? Twitter? How anyone can take anything from that cesspit of people-hating people is beyond me. Comments like yours have just shown to someone new here that we're a bunch of self-righteous, arrogant hornets. How about you help fight the prejudice - that puts you and me both in mortal danger sometimes - and make our lives a safer place?

OP
OP
Saammblack

Saammblack

@_aD Thank you so much for your reply! I really enjoyed reading it and is exactly the kind of story I am looking for. I totally agree with everything you said and hearing from people like yourself makes me want to take up cycling myself! As been as I don't already have a bicycle I can't experience these kinds of things so it was so helpful to read your reply and find out what you truly love about it. I really am very grateful! :hugs:

Ern1e

Über Member
After reading@_aD 's post I am looking at this in another way now ! Yes I guess that i'am a little passionate about the mishaps that have occured to me whilst out on the bike,like the vey kind lady ( not getting at lady drives here) who whist on her mobile left hooked me this causing a small impact with her rear door and low and behold it was my fault !! She kindly call the police who attended quite quickly ad asked her what had happened,she gave her account of how I had rammed her car ! It was at his point an elderly gent steps forward saying if the stupid cow had ben watching what she was doing instead of yapping on the bloody phone she would not have hit this fellow her face was a picture I can tell you lol. So @Saaammblack I hope you understand why my first post was as it was !

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Hi everyone!

I am a student from Bath Spa University doing a project about cyclists. I was wondering if anyone could share with me their funny or unusual experiences, or maybe even some near miss stories?

I'd be very grateful for the share.

Thanks

FYI, "Your Ride Today" is down the bottom at CycleChat Cafe. There are also some tales at Member's Travelogues. I've particularly enjoyed this by @SatNavSaysStraightOn who inspires us all with her efforts to get cycling again after (or ongoing) back problems. Not that others here have not also done so with their struggles against adversity.

Top Bottom