Funny experiences while cycling? Or a near miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Saammblack

Saammblack

Well I didn't realise this message would be taken to this extreme. I didn't mean to cause any harm by it, I didn't mean to offend anyone. With our project we have been asked to investigate a group of people. I have chosen cyclists as a whole. Really all I was looking for was some views on it, your love for cycling and why that is. I think my message might be coming across wrong here and I don't really know what else to say. There are people on here who feel the need to insult me for this, which I think it silly. I'm not trying to make fun of cyclists or the danger they are in on occasion. For many people cycling is a passion. I just wanted an honest chat with those passionate people. Thanks anyway guys.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think you may be right that you haven't got over the true aim and jist of what you intend in your first two posts, I don't think replies are meant to be insulting but an honest critique of how you have presented your project thoughts and implied level of experience.

I may be wrong in my summation above but my concern is that you are getting into an area with very deeply ingrained, passionately held feelings and prejudices and it may well not end the way you anticipate.

Best of luck if you do pursue it but please do a bit of researching on social and published media to get a taste of what you may encounter as feedback and how much more insulting you may find such responses.

OP
OP
Saammblack

Saammblack

Thanks @shouldbeinbed I appreciate your replies. My idea has come across totally wrong on here and I regret it now because the last thing I want to do is insult cyclists. We have just been given this project and at the moment I am in the beginnings of researching. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of who cyclists are as people and a community and what brings them together. Is it the funny stories? I understand a near miss is most definitely not funny, that is not what I was trying to say. But the fact is, it happens to every day people. I won't be putting these things together in a book (I know that wasn't clear in the beginning I should have thought more about my first post, so my bad) I was just trying to get some ideas together from real people who are passionate for the sport. I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone and this post has just gone awfully :/ ha. I don't know what I'm saying anymore so I'm going to be quiet. Thanks again for helping out. I'm in a big mess hah :blush:

Cyclists are no different to anyone else. It's a shared experience thing, same as any pastime and sport. You might want to concentrate on the specifics of the shared experience but put near misses somewhere near the bottom as none of us cycle for that and we are all very aware of our vulnerability in some situations.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps she just likes muscular men in right Lycra?

Seriously though, despite the somewhat vague remit you've not offended me. Ask some specific questions and I'm sure some of us would be glad to answer.

Cycling should be awesome all of the time. It isn't because of some idiots in cars who think we shouldn't be on the road. This stupidity is sometimes reinforced by people who should know better (politicians, road planners, journalists, courts). When a cyclist is killed by a near and not miss, a simple 'sorry I didn't see you' can usually get the driver a small fine rather than prison for drivibg 1.5 tonnes of metal dangerously.

The reason you got the reaction abive is this site is littered with links to journalists who either love to reinforce the dabgerous perception we shouldn't be here else innocently try and help but end up making things worse. My fear is that your publication, with the best of intentions, could make things worse.

A funny close pass story followed by a drivers story of cyclists getting in their way just reinforces to some that if cycking is dangerous it's our own fault for being there. For example a cyclist was hurt by a car because they 'pedalled to fast'!! Victim blaming tosh which we have to fight constantly.

Best advice for you so far is please get done serious makes under your belt so you really understand the issue talked about. This is not trying to be rude but the first step in being able to promote cycling.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Saammblack

Saammblack

@0-markymark-0 Thanks for your reply, I totally understand. However, please let me make this clear I am not doing "A funny close pass story". It is not at all funny. My tutor told me to try and get an angle on cyclists that hasn't really been published before (which is impossible if you ask me) but we will see what happens. It's not being shown to anyone, only handed in as work. I'm finding this project very difficult so I will be glad to see the back of it. Just need some ideas, I'm stuck that's all. Hearing stories from others might help. Thanks.

Well done for sticking with it.

If I were you some great angles would be why people cycle. Plenty of opinions but it is great fun and healthy. To some it's a passion, to others a hobby and to some just transport.

I can't speak for the others but my biggest frustration in cycling in the uk is the lack of understanding of the dangers by those who should know better. A cyclist is killed and the courts/journalist will at best slap the driver in the wrist as the 'roads are dangerous so really the cyvlist's fault for being there'. There is no responsibility to drive a big metal box safely. A close pass can so easily end in death. You show police footage and the best you'll get is a word to the driver who couldn't care less.

Reactions: _aD
Ok, here's one from yesterday (bank holiday). I took our 9 year old twins out for a ride and while we kept mainly to quiet roads, there were a few sections where we had to use normal roads. They cycle to school a couple of times a week and are decent enough on their bikes and can signal and stop if there is a danger (assuming they're concentrating, which isn't always the case). Anyway, towards the top of the main climb on the ride a 4*4 driver winds down her window as she overtakes and shouts out "that's dangerous". Don't know what she was referring to as I we were cycling two abreast with me on the outside. The kids were ok on the inside, weaving slightly because of the climb, but they were on the inside Perhaps it was because we held her up a bit (quiet day ...) or whatever ...
Anyway, a bit later, we were lucky and cycled by the end of Hawarden airport just as the Beluga passed directly overhead so we stopped to watch. At the same time, a group of ~ a dozen guys dressed as Elvis on their motorbikes rode past waving to the kids. You still remember the nutter, but there are generally a lot more interesting people in the world.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Don't give up, @Saammblack . It's just possible that this thread is giving you the angle you're looking for. You posed what you considered to be a reasonable and inoffensive request, and were met with an unexpectedly robust and defensive response. Why do you think that is? Why do some cyclists feel misunderstood and feel the need to be do defensive? Does this help or hinder them in their interactions with other road users and with the general public's attitude towards cyclists? etc etc

It's all grist to the mill.

OP
OP
Saammblack

Saammblack

@glasowcyclist @winjim Thanks for the replies. I totally agree with you @winjim there is a certain amount of defensiveness in a few replies. It would be very interesting to look further into this. Do cyclists feel they are treated unfairly to other road users? Personally, I think they are.

@glasgowcyclist thanks so much for the thread! Some really interesting comments on there! Love the soggy knickers comment haha :laugh:

fimm

Veteran
Do you need me to search the forum for you to find the threads I mentioned, or are you capable of doing that yourself?

(You are giving me the impression that you expect your answers to be spoon fed to you. This may be harsh. However, what you are really learning while doing this project is not about cycling. You are (or should be) learning about how to find out about something that you know nothing about. In the real world you don't get things handed to you, you have to go and find out.)

Top Bottom