Pointless / stupid things shouted at you whilst on a bike #364

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Yesterday morning out of the corner of my eye I detected some movement at a gate to a farmers' field when something was shouted, I couldn't quite make out what was said, then his mate had a go, I think it went "baaa baaa", bloody sheep ^_^
Were you cycling at the time or was the farmer defending the sheep's honour?

cd365

Guru
I was cycling but I have clocked which field they were in for future reference :whistle:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Had an odd one yesterday I was HERE, in the same lane as the Google car taking primary, doing a shade over 25mph so certainly not dawdling. I hear a beeping, shortly followed by another beeping looked to my left and there was a gentleman gesticulating wildly and he appeared to be shouting at me, I didn't have a clue what he was saying as he had his window up. I looked at my watch and shouted "It's about 2.30", I don't think he heard me properly as he waved his right arm at me more vigorously and seemed to shout louder than he had the first time, but still didn't put his window down, so I again looked at my watch and shouted back "It's about 2.30 mate.".
By this time we'd pretty much reached the roundabout and as I had an inkling by then that he didn't want to know the time I was starting to prepare myself for him cutting straight across me, but he didn't, he took the first exit. So he appeared to have taken umbridge to me being where I was, even though he didn't actually want to be there himself.
I thought it was both pointless and stupid.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
On a particularly wet ride home last week, I was stationary in a line of traffic at lights when I heard a voice to my right.

It was another cyclist who'd pulled alongside me and shouted simply, "Soggy knickers!"
I answered, "Nice to meet you" then the lights changed and I left him...

GC

apb

Veteran
Had my first today. It was "farkin' cycle path."

Yep.

There is a cycle path on the other side of the road, which i use when going the other way. I was keeping up with traffic and wasn't holding him up at all, so *shrugs*. This was only said once our direction parted, so not the most courageous of chaps.

Though in hind sight maybe he was just declaring his hatred for the cycle path. who knows.

glasgowcyclist

Cycling in Glasgow city centre yesterday I was at a set of lights when two other cyclists pulled up, one either side of me.

Chubby, breathless bloke to my right said something I didn't really hear. When I realised he was talking to me and asked him what it was, he said, "Don't even think about racing this thing" and proudly pointed at his super skinny road bike. "It's superfast", he beamed.
"Very good" I replied and headed off up the hill now that the lights had changed.

Halfway up the hill, his mate then shot up the inside of my position in a mad sprint shouting, "Yeah, you've no chance mate!" and 80 yards later stopped at the next red light.

Given he was half my age and weight he was perhaps right but what a strange encounter that was.

GC

glasgowcyclist

You must look "the part" ... he was seeing you as a challenge!

Ha!

I'm an old guy riding an 18yr old Trek 850 with a hub dynamo and full panniers, I look anything but the part.

I think they were miffed by that and the fact that they couldn't drop me.

GC

jarlrmai

Veteran
I see maybe 2 or 3 other cyclists most often non when I commute, all older guys going in the other direction I always say "hi" unless they are on the pavement.

Cycleconvert

After 4 weeks of cycling I got my first bit of 'abuse' today. Some man in a soft top with the roof down shouted 'F*****g Idiots' at me and a friend this morning. The funny bit was is that if he thought 2 cyclists were bad, he was about to encounter about 15 of them in a team that had recently overtaken us. I like to think that was a little bit of karma....:laugh:

beastie

Guru
"Oy mate, are you gay?"

I was wearing an ancient replica maglia rosa, so my normally very butch and straight appearance might have been slightly skewed.

Not that I'm bothered by this sort of remark. Quite the opposite. Some of my best friends, after all, are... Well, I'm sure you know what I mean. Actually none of my bes friends are.

And if a man is comfortable within himself he can get away with a little pink in his clothing. Well, I suppose it's closer to a salmon or a cerise, maybe a bright fuscia, but you know what I mean.
I attended a wedding (lesbian) and thought a pink shirt and tie would be apt and dapper. Cue one meathead guest threatening to punch me for being "gay".
My reply's:
"eh, I am with my wife and kids"
"if you are a homophobe then why are you at a lesbian wedding"
"let's step outside and I will either kiss you or kick fark out of you-your choice" This last bit may have been a bit less witty than I recollect but he sloped off crumbling nonetheless

400bhp

Guru
In all fairness all disabled riders ride recumbents so it is sort of understandable.

I haven't really been heckled. Nearly got doored once and called the dozy woman a prick. I don't even think she noticed she nearly had me off.

No, it's not understandable.

Think about it or do I have to spell it out?

400bhp

Guru
I attended a wedding (lesbian) and thought a pink shirt and tie would be apt and dapper. Cue one meathead guest threatening to punch me for being "gay".
My reply's:
"eh, I am with my wife and kids"
"if you are a homophobe then why are you at a lesbian wedding"
"let's step outside and I will either kiss you or kick f*** out of you-your choice" This last bit may have been a bit less witty than I recollect but he sloped off crumbling nonetheless

Have I got this right. A guest at a lesbian wedding Civil Ceremony was having a pop at someone for being gay:wacko:

Top Bottom