funny looking bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
Reach_review_html_3bc0d8bc.jpg

Im not sure whats going on here

midlife

Guru
There's a typo on the downtube.............it should say "Retch".

Shaun

Old jon

Guru
It looks very much like trailing link front suspension. Lambrettas had a single sided version of it, which took away the advantage of that type of suspension. The thing is, with telescopic forks often it is only the wheel spindle ( that is, just a long bolt ) that restrains one fork leg moving further than the other and effectively 'leaning' the front wheel. A Mr Earles developed a leading link fork in the 50s for motor bike outfits, and Greaves used a similar design for their scrambles and trials bikes. Both worked much better than telescopics, but were not as 'pretty' and likely cost more to produce.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well it's certainly different! Looks like someone's mushed together a Brompton, racer, MTB and touring bike to me ;)

edit: Dunno, but maybe the ridiculous fork rake works OK with the teeny tiny wheels?

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
it looks to me like a commination of the heavy slow nature of an mtb with the less maneuverable features of a road bike

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Pacific Reach. It's a folder, and it's a very decent bike. See review of the very bike in the picture here.

the snail

Guru
It looks very much like trailing link front suspension. Lambrettas had a single sided version of it, which took away the advantage of that type of suspension. The thing is, with telescopic forks often it is only the wheel spindle ( that is, just a long bolt ) that restrains one fork leg moving further than the other and effectively 'leaning' the front wheel. A Mr Earles developed a leading link fork in the 50s for motor bike outfits, and Greaves used a similar design for their scrambles and trials bikes. Both worked much better than telescopics, but were not as 'pretty' and likely cost more to produce.
The big advantage of link forks is that fork dive under braking can be designed out, and the wheelbase stays more constant. Fancy sidecar conversions often use leading-link designs. I think some of the responses to this bike demonstrate why these front-sus designs aren't popular (apart from cost) - "they look funny". I really like the way they ride though.

kiriyama

Don't think they need to bother with that massive lock... I suppose it might stop people from throwing it in the nearest canal

This is what happens when you ask a class of final year industrial design students to redesign the bicycle. It mutates. There is a reason why double-diamond bikes have stood the test of time.

Top Bottom