Funny ride in this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caesar

I had another near miss with a mopedophile today at the roundabout at the south end of Westminster bridge. Lights were on red so I stopped in the ASL box in front of the middle lane of 3 as I was going straight on and 5 or 6 motorbikes and mopeds joined me in the ASL box. A medical courier on my right kept revving up and inching across the front of me onto the ped crossing, just so I could breathe in all his unregulated fumes. Thanks for that.

A learner mopedophile had stopped on my left about three feet away and when the lights turned green another learner moped accelerated through the gap between me and the first moped to go straight on, missing my front wheel by inches.

The same thing has happened a few times recently and one of those times a motorcyclist clipped my arm as I raised it to indicate a right turn just as I was starting to leave the ASL box after the light turned green.

I am absolutely sick of ASLs being ignored, isn't it supposed to be 6 points and a fine?

caesar

I had another near miss with a mopedophile today at the roundabout at the south end of Westminster bridge. Lights were on red so I stopped in the ASL box in front of the middle lane of 3 as I was going straight on and 5 or 6 motorbikes and mopeds joined me in the ASL box. A medical courier on my right kept revving up and inching across the front of me onto the ped crossing, just so I could breathe in all his unregulated fumes. Thanks for that.

A learner mopedophile had stopped on my left about three feet away and when the lights turned green another learner moped accelerated through the gap between me and the first moped to go straight on, missing my front wheel by inches.

The same thing has happened a few times recently and one of those times a motorcyclist clipped my arm as I raised it to indicate a right turn just as I was starting to leave the ASL box after the light turned green.

I am absolutely sick of ASLs being ignored, isn't it supposed to be 6 points and a fine?

caesar

Cab said:
The irritating thing about the camera is that it only gets what I'm pointing my head at, which is almost always the road right in front of me. Very narrow field of vision. So anything happening next to you, on the other side of the road etc. tends to be out of view.

Which camera do you have? I use one from rfconcepts for snowboarding and it is possible to change the lens for a wide angle one.

caesar

Cab said:
The irritating thing about the camera is that it only gets what I'm pointing my head at, which is almost always the road right in front of me. Very narrow field of vision. So anything happening next to you, on the other side of the road etc. tends to be out of view.

Which camera do you have? I use one from rfconcepts for snowboarding and it is possible to change the lens for a wide angle one.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

caesar said:

ATC2000. Nice enough toy, but rather limited in what you can do optically (althogh I could put some optics on the front with a sort of belt and braces approach I suppose).

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

caesar said:

ATC2000. Nice enough toy, but rather limited in what you can do optically (althogh I could put some optics on the front with a sort of belt and braces approach I suppose).

ChrisW

Why are my rides so uneventful?

I leave home get a little chilly, well it is 6.30a.m.

At the mini-roundabout i indicate right and the car coming the other way always stops.

I then take the primary position around a corner (where there are parked cars) and go down and up a little dip, again with cars parked either side. Any car behind me sits and waits until it is clear and then overtakes.

Across Wimbledon Common cars give me room.

Down Putney Hill, i don't see RLJ's and buses wait behind me.

Along the King's Road most don't RLJ, they indicate when they move out, maybe are even friendly at the lights ("cold this morning innit?").

Why oh why can't i have something EXCITING happen to me like CAB does so i can post something riveting and controversial ;)

ChrisW

Why are my rides so uneventful?

I leave home get a little chilly, well it is 6.30a.m.

At the mini-roundabout i indicate right and the car coming the other way always stops.

I then take the primary position around a corner (where there are parked cars) and go down and up a little dip, again with cars parked either side. Any car behind me sits and waits until it is clear and then overtakes.

Across Wimbledon Common cars give me room.

Down Putney Hill, i don't see RLJ's and buses wait behind me.

Along the King's Road most don't RLJ, they indicate when they move out, maybe are even friendly at the lights ("cold this morning innit?").

Why oh why can't i have something EXCITING happen to me like CAB does so i can post something riveting and controversial ;)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

ChrisW said:

Cambridge is a funny place. Sometimes (often, in fact) I encounter more bikes and cars, which means that the motorists are often absolutely livid with the world, they see cycles in front of them going through red lights, taking primary position to stop them overtaking in silly places, etc. And of course its full of insane people, Cambridge.

So even just wandering around you can see plenty of silly things happening. That kind of town. I never saw so much odd stuff happening on the roads living anywhere else.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

ChrisW said:

Cambridge is a funny place. Sometimes (often, in fact) I encounter more bikes and cars, which means that the motorists are often absolutely livid with the world, they see cycles in front of them going through red lights, taking primary position to stop them overtaking in silly places, etc. And of course its full of insane people, Cambridge.

So even just wandering around you can see plenty of silly things happening. That kind of town. I never saw so much odd stuff happening on the roads living anywhere else.

Tynan

Veteran
had someone (silver people mover) rev up behind me as I approached the narrowed bit in the road, I remember thinking, what on earth are they going to do?

sure nuff, they went around the central island on the wrong side

sure nuf they had to stop at traffic 100 yards further along, I filtered past them

sure nuff they passed me on the inside (four lanes on the Swiss Cottage one way) to get n front of me

sure nuff I passed them filtering to the front

and again they tore past me to get in front again

nothing dangerous (to me) but so meaningless and futile

otherwise people were good today

Tynan

Veteran
had someone (silver people mover) rev up behind me as I approached the narrowed bit in the road, I remember thinking, what on earth are they going to do?

sure nuff, they went around the central island on the wrong side

sure nuf they had to stop at traffic 100 yards further along, I filtered past them

sure nuff they passed me on the inside (four lanes on the Swiss Cottage one way) to get n front of me

sure nuff I passed them filtering to the front

and again they tore past me to get in front again

nothing dangerous (to me) but so meaningless and futile

otherwise people were good today

caesar

ChrisW said:

I used to have a more relaxed commute when I went that sort of way (Earlsfield to Soho via Battersea Bridge, Royal Hospital Road, Mall, Picadilly or Traf Square). New office is near Old Street so I go south of the river until Blackfriar's Bridge. Most of it is fine but Vauxhall roundabout can be dangerous (trucks overtaking on a left hand bend and forcing you into the inside lane) and the one I wrote about this morning gets blocked when it's really busy. The mopedophiles-in-ASLs problem seemed to get much worse during the last tube strike, and is worse on this route than my old one.

caesar

ChrisW said:

I used to have a more relaxed commute when I went that sort of way (Earlsfield to Soho via Battersea Bridge, Royal Hospital Road, Mall, Picadilly or Traf Square). New office is near Old Street so I go south of the river until Blackfriar's Bridge. Most of it is fine but Vauxhall roundabout can be dangerous (trucks overtaking on a left hand bend and forcing you into the inside lane) and the one I wrote about this morning gets blocked when it's really busy. The mopedophiles-in-ASLs problem seemed to get much worse during the last tube strike, and is worse on this route than my old one.

Tetedelacourse

Cab said:
Told a bloke that his brake light was broke, got yelled at.

Saw two RLJ cyclists almost come to blows over a farcical situation where the outside one wanted to turn left, the inside one wanted to turn right, and neither had indicated. The only thing that probably stopped them was the bus that needed through the space they shouldn't have been occupying anyway.

Got stuck behind a car on a narrow one way street, he wanted past the cyclist in front and kept making a little dart to the side like he might be about to have a go. Woman on the bike stopped in the road and in a very posh voice berated the bloke in the car for being too close and being all over her.

Saw a cyclist on the other side of the road plough straignt in to the back of the car in front of him; he hit his brakes very late, and went stright in to the towbar of the old fashioned volvo estate in front of him. That car had been static for, what, 8 or 10 seconds due to traffic. Dunno how he stayed upright, considering he'd managed to bend his front forks back in the collision. Crowd of other cyclists immediately with him on that side, so nowt I could have done to help the chap; 100% the cyclists fault and he knew it. Towbar on the volvo looked pretty much untouched, as you might expect!

Three RLJs waiting out in front at another junction caused a complete standstill, as a bus that couldn't quite corner because of them suddenly stopped, and the RLJs were clearly too thick to spot what they had done wrong.

Two cars went through red lights at another junction (one that had just changed, one that was just about to change) an damned near collided; luck rather than judgement saved them.

And yet my own ride in was really rather quiet; no one yelled at me for being on the road, no one tried to pass too close, nothing really happened to me.

Odd kind of ride in to work.

There's one common denominator in all of that. Is your real name Jonah?;) Reminds me of the bloke with the specs in Police Academy.

Top Bottom