Future nest egg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just seen a bottle of Gentleman Jack whiskey "Limited edition" on Amzon for £34, which got me thinking; would it be worth any more in 50 or 100 years time?

So, you have up to £200 to spend on something, which then gets stored safely and handed down the generations for lets say 100 years.

What sort of thing would you buy? What is tomorrow's rare/antique that can be had today for a little money?

p.s. I am not relying on this for financial gain, just interested what people's thoughts were.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was a recent news article about a lad that had just sold a load of whiskey for £40k as a house deposit. His dad bought him a bottle every year with instructions not to open it. It's amassed a good return.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Whisky is a good bet. Someone just sold a collection of MacAllan bottles his dad bought for him every year on his birthday.
He bought a house.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Booze as an investment is no good to me. Someone once bought me two miniature Jack Daniels bottles in a presentation case,saying 'don't drink them,don't even take them out the box and they'll be worth something in years to come'. One night i was out of booze and fancied a slurp. Bang went the 'investment'!:rolleyes:

Find an artist you like who is just starting out and buy a piece of their work.
A real punt but if you like the artwork it doesn't really matter if it increases in value.
Having watched the Antiques Roadshow I've realised monetary values show how oddly the antiques world value things.
Moth eaten teddy bears can be worth hundreds as long as made by Steiff. :wacko:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Gold coins and gold bars are an investment. Keep it under your hats,but i have 100 grands worth in my flat!!. :secret:https://www.gold.co.uk/gold-coins/gold-britannia-coins/
Gold jewelry isn't quite as good,but at least you can wear it and get some kind of pleasure from that. Though i've read that to make 'proper money' from gold you have to buy at least 50 grands worth and keep it in storage. People buy gold,never seeing the gold they've bought. You can buy it and the seller will keep it for you for as long as you're willing to pay for storage,or until you decide to sell it to another person who repeats the process.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Over £700,000 I think it was
The whisky was estimated to be worth £40,000 for auction, but whether he got that I don't know, it was going to be used as the deposit on his house. The purchase price of the 28 bottles was £5000 so a good investment over 28 years!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
... where do you live again?
You after coming round to see my bling?!!:becool:^_^

1599669804479.png

Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?!:becool:

Top Bottom