Future nest egg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You after coming round to see my bling?!!:becool:^_^

View attachment 546264

Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?!:becool:

I can see you are a fan of the EU and must have voted remain. :okay:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Buy the next big innovation to hit the market (6G phone, etc). Never take it out of its box. It's bound to be a collectors item in a few decades time.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of buying this restoration project folks. It's only £1850 on fleabay. I've seen fully restored ones go for 10 grand,so a bit of sandpaper and a tin of spray paint and i'll soon quadruple my money!:tongue:

1599737367380.png

1599737518689.png

1599737671201.png

:okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
When I lived in Japan you got Pokemon cards with everything you bought it seemed. Some were worth fortunes it seems. Silly me then! I do collect WWII sake cups though and they are rare to start with in some designs so I may get that narrow boat yet!

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Find an artist you like who is just starting out and buy a piece of their work.
A real punt but if you like the artwork it doesn't really matter if it increases in value.
Having watched the Antiques Roadshow I've realised monetary values show how oddly the antiques world value things.
Moth eaten teddy bears can be worth hundreds as long as made by Steiff. :wacko:
Alvin Hall the American celebrity financial advisor gave the same advice on art. By stuff you like to look at and with luck some or even all of it will increase in value.

Art, if you buy something YOU like then it doesn't matter if it doesn't appreciate, you still get to enjoy it without actually 'using' it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of buying this restoration project folks. It's only £1850 on fleabay. I've seen fully restored ones go for 10 grand,so a bit of sandpaper and a tin of spray paint and i'll soon quadruple my money!:tongue:

View attachment 546382
View attachment 546383

View attachment 546384
:okay:
It's a Series II with a turning front mudguard so it might be the Spanish Winter model. It could well be worth £1850.

EDIT: I've just done an image search and the Winter model's mudguard was a different shape. This one is either extremely rare or a BitSA.

Last edited:
Find an artist you like who is just starting out and buy a piece of their work.
A real punt but if you like the artwork it doesn't really matter if it increases in value.
Having watched the Antiques Roadshow I've realised monetary values show how oddly the antiques world value things.
Moth eaten teddy bears can be worth hundreds as long as made by Steiff. :wacko:
Coincidentally I have been seriously thinking about this as my sister has been a artist for many many years and now in her mid 50's her paintings are starting to have real value, recently she sold 2 for 6K each through a gallery and the gallery took 60% of this. Some of her other work is going for the 1-3K mark. I was thinking of buying some of her work now with no gallery mark up and brothers rates and squirreling it away for my retirement, trouble is I dont have the few thousand I need spare at the moment.

@Oldhippy my sister explained it to me that its the gallery owners "list" that is important. In this case its a lady who owns the gallery in Edinburgh. Her list of potential well heeled clients she has built up over the years is where the money is. The 2 paintings that went for 6k each were among a bundle a multi millionaire spent 250k on with the gallery to fill a new house. Its the contacts that took her 30 odd years to amass that is important. 40% of something is better than 100% of nowt. The smaller galleries will charge less comission but there potential buyers on their lists probably dont have 250k etc to throw away on paintings they havent even seen.

Top Bottom